The Eggtimer - A full-function multiple-deployment flight computer for only $40

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Cris,
I just tested my latest Eggtimer build. When I test the deployment channels, the light bulb stays lit indefinitely (when testing either the Main or Channel B) rather than for the two seconds stated in the build manual. I may have asked you about this on my first Eggtimer. However, I can't find the message.
Thanks, Matt

My second Eggtimer responds the same way, so I think I answered my own question. However, when I test CHB on the second Eggtimer the bulb does not light (or once glowed faintly and continued to glow for a little while after the switch was disconnected.) Have any suggestions?
Thanks, Matt

Try doing the master reset if not already done and then changing the channel on time in programming mode.

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

The test uses the "On Time" settings from the menu, however if you have it set to zero it won't fire. The three AUX channels fire for two seconds when you test them, since there is no On Time setting for them.

If you have a version prior to 1.51, AND you have never run through a simulated flight (i.e. you have never gotten the "ready chirp"), it will also appear not to fire because the menu settings will not have been saved to the EEPROM yet, so it ends up firing for -1 seconds. Due to the continuity circuit, a very small amount of current is always flowing through the igniter (about 1/2 ma), so if you're using an LED to test with it may actually light up a little bit. The channel test is designed to test real-world conditions, using the igniter, battery, and On Time settings that you intend to fly.

so its -18* outside today so doing some reading , is anybody using option L Telemetry streaming data via radio ?

so its -18* outside today so doing some reading , is anybody using option L Telemetry streaming data via radio ?

There is a thread somewhere here on TRF where a person interfaced an MAWD or a Stratologger to I believe a 900Mhz transmitter to stream the altitude in realtime. Took a fair amount of work to the point I felt I didn't have a problem with waiting to recover a rocket to see what the altitude data pattern was. You could take the easy way out and simply purchase an EggTimer TRS system with an LCD receiver. As part of the arming process, the LCD receiver decodes the lat/long stream but instead of using GPS altitude (which is fraught with inaccuracy) the field elevation goes to zero and the baro altitude is streamed directly to the receiver. Soooooo, you could get it all on one board without having to try to interface a radio to the altimeter. Plus get GPS tracking to boot for $140.00. Kurt

Chris,

I found a putty terminal version for Linux, are there any compatibility issues I'm going to run into connecting to the Eggtimers?

TA

There is a thread somewhere here on TRF where a person interfaced an MAWD or a Stratologger to I believe a 900Mhz transmitter to stream the altitude in realtime. Took a fair amount of work to the point I felt I didn't have a problem with waiting to recover a rocket to see what the altitude data pattern was. You could take the easy way out and simply purchase an EggTimer TRS system with an LCD receiver. As part of the arming process, the LCD receiver decodes the lat/long stream but instead of using GPS altitude (which is fraught with inaccuracy) the field elevation goes to zero and the baro altitude is streamed directly to the receiver. Soooooo, you could get it all on one board without having to try to interface a radio to the altimeter. Plus get GPS tracking to boot for $140.00. Kurt

You can hook a set of $30 3DR-compatible radios up to an Eggtimer, set the baud on the radios to 19200 (the Eggtimer's baud rate), and it will stream real-time altitude/eta data as you fly. Of course, as Kurt suggests you can do the same thing with a TRS too, plus you get remote arming and GPS tracking, but if you need the airstart capability etc. then you're pretty much going to have to stay with the Eggtimer.

Cris,,,
You are a man among men..........
A scholar amongst educated men..............
A philanthropist among do-gooders...............
You hold an elevated position in our rocketry society.............

It worked on the money Cris....

Talk about knowing your product,,,,,, Geeeezzzzzzz.............

Teddy

You can hook a set of $30 3DR-compatible radios up to an Eggtimer, set the baud on the radios to 19200 (the Eggtimer's baud rate), and it will stream real-time altitude/eta data as you fly. Of course, as Kurt suggests you can do the same thing with a TRS too, plus you get remote arming and GPS tracking, but if you need the airstart capability etc. then you're pretty much going to have to stay with the Eggtimer.

Thanks for reply Chris and Kurt , 3DR rgr that ,

how about Kate Upton voice any idea's on that ? :)

It's hard to believe that it's been 10 years since we introduced the Eggtimer Classic (of course, it didn't have the "Classic" at the time). We've managed to keep it in our product lineup for the past 10 years despite the challenges of parts going EOL and having to get them from the secondary market. Our stockpile of the baro sensor that went EOL in 2016 is finally exhausted so it is with some sadness that we have removed the Eggtimer Classic from our product pages. It will still be supported, of course... all of the support documents are on our Support page under "Eggtimer Classic". If you have been looking at a Classic, we recommend the Eggtimer Quantum... it's a much newer and more capable design. If you're looking for something easy to build, we recommend the Eggtimer Apogee, it's a great introduction to electronic deployments, especially if you've been using a Jolly Logic Chute Release and have been outflying your motor delays.

As usual, thanks for all your support!
Cris Erving, Eggtimer Rocketry

Back