Tender Descender Alternatives

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Flying Object

Reaction score
I currently use a couple of Tender Descenders as a redundant release to deploy my main chute. Does anyone know of any alternatives?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I have a cable cutter, I love it. It's simple to use and most importantly works!

A cable cutter won't work in my configuration. The line it separates holds the full force of the drogue on a 70lb rocket. The main stays tucked away in a chute tube until the tender decenders fire and the push charges force the main out of the chute tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Take a look at the Rattworks ARRD and the SpaceTec Servo Release Mechanism.

You could also use the line cutters, that are part of an automatic activation device for parachutists. They are basically a high performance version of the Archetype Cable Cutter that can cut much stronger lines. For example, Airtec advertises it's CYPRES cutter as being able to cut steel wire (not a word about the thickness or alloy, though). Unfortunately, they are quite expensive (~$100, single use).

Reinhard

Last edited:
Take a look at the Rattworks ARRD and the SpaceTec Servo Release Mechanism.

You could also use the line cutters, that are part of an automatic activation device for parachutists. They are basically a high performance version of the Archetype Cable Cutter that can cut much stronger lines. For example, Airtec advertises it's CYPRES cutter as being able to cut steel wire (not a word about the thickness or alloy, though). Unfortunately, they are quite expensive (~$100, single use).

Reinhard

The Rattworks ARRD is exactly what I need. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Back