Teen + reloads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teens + reloads

• Like to see teens build reloads.

• Dont like to see teens build reloads.

Results are only viewable after voting.
At fourteen my friends and I thought we knew it all, at twenty five I'm starting to realize wow I didn't know anything back then and still have so much to learn...

Twenty five? Let me get you a towel to dry off behind the ears. Wait till you hit 50 and realize you know less after a half century that you started with and have very little time left to learn anything:y:

Just thought I'd stir the pot a little bit...

I loaded an H999 today, no problem whatsoever.

Beside the fact that I lost the drag race

Braden

Hmmm...but that will only work where it is cold all the time, even in the summer, Massachusetts maybe. They always have snow right? /sarcasm
You are welcome to come up to visit the Adirondacks any time during the winter months, October through May.

My son's roommates father taught both of them how to reload a motor. Even taught them how to clean them. That was the part that didn't take.

Andrew

The poll needs a third choice: "Don't care one way or the other."

Interesting thread.

Yes.

I think adult training and supervision is a requirement. Because if there are
personal injuries or property damage. They are not going after the kid.

But with that said my eldest last fall shot his first whitetail buck. He was 11
years old at that time, 12 now. Hunting can be a far more dangerous
endevour than rocketry. BTW, Marlin 336C chambered for .35 Remington,
hand loads for reduced recoil, 148gr .357 Hunting handgun bullets
and SR4759 extruded powder.

Last edited:
Interesting thread.

Yes.

I think adult training and supervision is a requirement. Because if there are
personal injuries or property damage. They are not going after the kid.

But with that said my eldest last fall shot his first whitetail buck. He was 11
years old at that time, 12 now. Hunting can be a far more dangerous
endevour than rocketry. BTW, Marlin 336C chambered for .35 Remington,
hand loads for reduced recoil, 148gr .357 Hunting handgun bullets
and SR4759 extruded powder.

You know it's Federally illegal for a kid to purchase or have possesion of a fire arm or amunition, and also against the law in most states laws as well...:marshmallow:
(but, somehow the hunters safety course gets around all that.. :tongue:)

Congrats to your boy. I can wait till mine gets a little older and can go hunting.. he wants to... We do a lot of shooting of Guns and Rockets together... At this point he loves rockets way more...

You know it's Federally illegal for a kid to purchase or have possesion of a fire arm or amunition, and also against the law in most states laws as well...:marshmallow:
(but, somehow the hunters safety course gets around all that.. :tongue:)

Congrats to your boy. I can wait till mine gets a little older and can go hunting.. he wants to... We do a lot of shooting of Guns and Rockets together... At this point he loves rockets way more...

Federal laws, summarized.
To legally purchase or own ammo or long guns you must be 18 years old.
To legally purchase or own a handgun you must be 21 years old.
Legally "Possesion" and "Ownership" are not the same thing. I can own the
gun and my son can possess it and use it within the limit of the laws and
hunting regulations. BTW, tonight is Hunter Safety sign up!!!

Gotta love the lawyers, so my son can run around the woods and kill Bambi,
legally but he cannot purchase composite rocket motors. :rolleyes:

That's cuz

1) The NRA has a whole lot more oompf than the NAR - amazing what moving that R around can do...
2) There is no constitutional amendment that makes flying rocket a right of citizenship.

Now, were we to say that as part of the well armed militia bit we need an active right to air defense, it is possible we might pull something off.

I dont feel any teen should be allowed to handle anything involving motors. Or rockets for that matter. They just dont have the maturity....period.

Ben

If this were true my son and I would have lost some really good times together. I say teach them right and they will have no problems.

Andrew

Federal laws, summarized.
To legally purchase or own ammo or long guns you must be 18 years old.
To legally purchase or own a handgun you must be 21 years old.
Legally "Possesion" and "Ownership" are not the same thing. I can own the
gun and my son can possess it and use it within the limit of the laws and
hunting regulations. BTW, tonight is Hunter Safety sign up!!!

My comment was tounge and cheek of the similar view of rockets and kids. In my state, it is unlawful for me to have any fire arm where my son has "constructive possestion".. Its also unlawful for me to hand him a handgun...
really its just laws meant to put you in jail if your kid gets hurt because you dont put it in a safe, keep a child lock on it ect... or hand a kid a loaded handgun...

This has nothing to do with NRA....
my state has programs to teach kids gun safety... If a kid hurt thier self in this class. the State Officials responsible go to jail for the same laws i said above...

Its wierd to me to have laws that are only enforced after someone is hurt... BUt, then i guess it means you didnt do it right.

Rockets... are part of the the much more important social contract called the 'Declaration of Independance' where all men are endowed 'LIBERTY'. And i hope i can excersize some liberty sooon... i havent flown in a couple months.

Yeah... I have to agree with the purchase to maintain an age limit. But, just like hunting, is fine when your with Dad, or other Mentor that can be responsible for your actions.

I wished they would move the driving age to 18...

I also would rather my kid have composite motors over a BP motor.... (for reasons of when i was a kid and did stupid things...)

how is it fireworks stands sell to minors???? that i dont get.... HAHA...:y:

No harm done. I now understand. Some times government regulations get in the way of the teaching process.

I have found that the rocketry industry pretty much polices itself.

For example. A guy wanted to fly on our church property. Not a problem. My son and I have as have others. But he wanted to fly a rocket on an H motor. No certification, no nothing. He was crying cause no one would sell him an H reload. He could not understand. I tried to explain to him:

1. The field was way too small.

2. He needs a level one certification.

Those are the people I worry about! BTW a D is about max for the field.

Andrew

Some times government regulations get in the way...
The government get in the way of alot of things that they shouldn't.
However, with Liberty and Freedom comes individual responsibility, something
too many either have forgotten or try hard to avoid.

I have found that the rocketry industry pretty much polices itself.
And that is a good thing! I am not L1 yet but should get there this summer
pending available time. I don't whine about not being able to get an "H" I
just whine about the 50-60 hours a week I loose to work... LOL :rolleyes:

For example. A guy wanted to fly on our church property. Not a problem. My son and I have as have others. But he wanted to fly a rocket on an H motor. No certification, no nothing. He was crying cause no one would sell him an H reload. He could not understand. I tried to explain to him:

1. The field was way too small.

2. He needs a level one certification.

Those are the people I worry about! BTW a D is about max for the field.

Andrew
Yeah well, they are out there and they vote. Dunno what to tell you... :confused2:

One thing to think about, is low power reloads, i definatly have no problem with my son loading.. My Loki 38/740 he seems to not really want to mess with when it comes to loading.. "no dad, you do it..." But all the 29mm/38mm aerotech he likes to load... or play in the grease...i havent figured out which one yet...

But all the 29mm/38mm aerotech he likes to load... or play in the grease...i havent figured out which one yet...

Dammit where's the windex I got coffee on my screen again... :roll:

There are people out there who just wanna push the limits.

Andrew

Learning, ... Dad's get the most fun of it...

Yup.

Is that an AR-10 Upper receiver group??? If it is, I am mildly jealous... :cool:

My youngest at the range (8 then and now, soon to be 9,)
My oldest in the woods (11 at the time, 12 now.)
Enjoying our other hobbies.

My bestest buddies!!!

Matt Range AR-15 cropped.jpg

Button Buck Cropped.jpg

Its a composite AR-15 pistol. 9mm bushmaster.
Its my home self defence.
Makes going through a box of ammo for fun not so expensive.
My wife baught it for my birthday for me...

I have found Rockets... and Guns... Are both in thier own ways teaching him responsible behavior that makes him aware of reprocusions.(although I must admit, takes some maturity to understand the gravity of those reprocusions, but he has all the time in the world for growing up for all i care.)
When i compare him to kids that grow up differently, they have different ideas of what is okay behavior...

He is my little boss. If he catches me using a saw, drill press, or tool unsafe (without goggles, with gloves on, or explicitly what i told him not to do.) he pulls me in on the carpet..."dad, we dont do that.."

Likewise, he regulates my language... and constantly shows me, 'lead by example' is a serious understatement. I thought my mom had eyes in the back of her head, this kid sees what i am doing through walls....

My daughter is almost 2, and he just turned 6 last weekend, we are expecting the third on november 20th. They are my heroes.

your 9 yearold, doesnt seem shy with that rifle.. awesome!!!
and the 12 yearold, seems to have made a nice clean shot, he obviously wasnt shy with his rifle, or - stressed- at shooting a deer. ( ive seen grown men tense up and.. well you know spine a deer or what not...)

Carefull, Rockets and guns are equaly expensive. you and kids involved in both, is a second job... haha... happy ballistics....:handshake:

Its a composite AR-15 pistol. 9mm bushmaster.
Its my home self defence.
Makes going through a box of ammo for fun not so expensive.
My wife baught it for my birthday for me...
I have an AR-15 Bushmaster with bull barrel. That is what the little guy
is shooting in the picture. We have a local High Power League that I try
to shoot at. Your wife did good! I have a 1911 for home defense and
the wife shoots a .357 revolver.

I have found Rockets... and Guns... Are both in thier own ways teaching him responsible behavior that makes him aware of reprocusions.(although I must admit, takes some maturity to understand the gravity of those reprocusions, but he has all the time in the world for growing up for all i care.)
When i compare him to kids that grow up differently, they have different ideas of what is okay behavior...
I think you and I share a common veiw point on this matter. We also live on
small farm so the boys have daily chores and get to work with equipment and
livestock that require a level of maturity that most children do not get to
experience.

your 9 yearold, doesnt seem shy with that rifle.. awesome!!!
Nope, and I short load the magazines for him. He is a good shot, on top of it.

and the 12 yearold, seems to have made a nice clean shot, he obviously wasnt shy with his rifle, or - stressed- at shooting a deer. ( ive seen grown men tense up and.. well you know spine a deer or what not...)
He shot it last fall in WI during the Youth season. The deer walked within
20-25 feet of our ground blind. We hunt in heavy forest have a blind made
of natural materials. The longest shot you can get is 30-40 yds. This deer
was walking right at us, he was like a statue until the deer turned and bent
down to eat some acorns. I thought my heart was going to explode out of
my chest! It was near perfect shot place, maybe an inch high, but that
is understandable at such a short range.

Carefull, Rockets and guns are equaly expensive. you and kids involved in both, is a second job... haha... happy ballistics....:handshake:
The wife has horses, need I say more... :eyeroll:

Back