Tall Boy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjkopena

Rocketship Games
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Finished and flew this ASP Tall Boy, rechristened Tall One, this weekend:

PXL_20220108_165850428~2.jpg

This is a real fun rocket. Straightforward to build, it's made up of multi-segment balsa fins and four BT60 tubes. I think it looks good even with just one body segment, but at the full length it's certainly an eye catcher. At 122.5" it's just a bit taller than my ground crew would be standing on my shoulders, which excited them greatly.

My biggest suggestion for the kit is that a rocket this tall can really stand having the included launch lugs replaced with rail buttons. We were fortunate to have no wind today so we got two clean flights, but I'd worry about the rocket waving on the rod in more typical conditions. The included mylar parachutes are also a bit weak and could stand being replaced. On our first launch all the stickers simply tore off one of them, but fortunately the second chute was more than enough to induce a graceful float down. Otherwise, as I expect of ASP, the components are great and instructions clear. It's a non-challenging but fun build process with just a couple interesting design choices and methods, resulting in a great flyer.

The graphics on our build are all custom cut vinyl. The rainbow is made up of six sine waves calculated to wrap around the tube. Another interesting minor note in construction is an experiment w/ fillets. I used wood glue throughout the construction and to form the fin and lug fillets as well, though I would normally use epoxy for the latter. Unsurprisingly the fillets developed some small air holes, which could maybe be just a bit tricky to fill w/ more wood glue, given that it shrinks. Instead these holes were easily and immediately filled using Bondic UV-cured resin.

We used E30-4s for our two launches today, captured in this video. That's at the upper range of the recommended motors, but it gave the rocket a real jump off the pad and very clean, straight flights.

View attachment YouCut_20220108_230503022.mp4

That's gotta be the record for length to diameter ratio on a model rocket!

Launching in the winter... Here's some launching music for the..

Here's some launching music for the..

That's a real good tune, I'll have to remember that. I kept thinking of Little Richard's Long Tall Sally while building.

Well, long tall Sally, she's built for speed
She got everything that Uncle John need
Oh, baby
Yes, baby
Whoo, baby
Having me some fun tonight, yeah

That's a real good tune, I'll have to remember that. I kept thinking of Little Richard's Long Tall Sally while building.

Well, long tall Sally, she's built for speed
She got everything that Uncle John need
Oh, baby
Yes, baby
Whoo, baby
Having me some fun tonight, yeah
Whenever I hear Long Tall Sally all I can think of is Bill Duke going after the Predator 🤗

Re-watched Predator a few months ago for the first time in many many many years and was pleasantly surprised at how well it's held up.

Re-watched Predator a few months ago for the first time in many many many years and was pleasantly surprised at how well it's held up.
Not that this has anything to do with rocketry 😉 but yes, Predator probably holds up the best of all Arnold’s earlier action flicks - outside of the first two Terminator movies of course - I’ll still watch Commando occasionally because it’s just an awesome slice of 80s cheesy goodness but Predator is a real live minor movie classic!

Tall Boy in a tree, just sitting there teasing me. I'm sure I could get it down - if I could get to it. It's surrounded by a wall of blackberries taller, much taller that me (not that that's saying much). And we are having record hot temps, just like the rest of the country. I'll get to it sooner or later, and I will have the scratches to prove it.

Love the Tall Boy, have launched it in various configurations, crashed it multiple times, lost various tubes and replaced them and I'm not going to let a bunch of blackberries get in the way!

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    408.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Rockets with Tobias 068.JPG
    Rockets with Tobias 068.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Rockets with Tobias 067.JPG
    Rockets with Tobias 067.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Rockets with Tobias 037.jpg
    Rockets with Tobias 037.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Rockets with Tobias 055.jpg
    Rockets with Tobias 055.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Rockets with Tobias 060.JPG
    Rockets with Tobias 060.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 0
Finished and flew this ASP Tall Boy, rechristened Tall One, this weekend:

View attachment 498999

This is a real fun rocket. Straightforward to build, it's made up of multi-segment balsa fins and four BT60 tubes. I think it looks good even with just one body segment, but at the full length it's certainly an eye catcher. At 122.5" it's just a bit taller than my ground crew would be standing on my shoulders, which excited them greatly.

My biggest suggestion for the kit is that a rocket this tall can really stand having the included launch lugs replaced with rail buttons. We were fortunate to have no wind today so we got two clean flights, but I'd worry about the rocket waving on the rod in more typical conditions. The included mylar parachutes are also a bit weak and could stand being replaced. On our first launch all the stickers simply tore off one of them, but fortunately the second chute was more than enough to induce a graceful float down. Otherwise, as I expect of ASP, the components are great and instructions clear. It's a non-challenging but fun build process with just a couple interesting design choices and methods, resulting in a great flyer.

The graphics on our build are all custom cut vinyl. The rainbow is made up of six sine waves calculated to wrap around the tube. Another interesting minor note in construction is an experiment w/ fillets. I used wood glue throughout the construction and to form the fin and lug fillets as well, though I would normally use epoxy for the latter. Unsurprisingly the fillets developed some small air holes, which could maybe be just a bit tricky to fill w/ more wood glue, given that it shrinks. Instead these holes were easily and immediately filled using Bondic UV-cured resin.

We used E30-4s for our two launches today, captured in this video. That's at the upper range of the recommended motors, but it gave the rocket a real jump off the pad and very clean, straight flights.

View attachment 498994
You're right about the launch lugs. I haven't used rail guides yet, but I've added extra lugs on the various segments. I use a 4 foot launch rod, but I'm going to find a 6 foot rod for future flights. I've launched in various configurations from d12-3 to Enerjet E30s. See video I'm about to post for my latest launch.

Latest posts

Back