Super Big Bertha - fin question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just started construction, and when they glue dried on one of the fins I assembled, the 3 pieces are not aligned. so I’m wondering if this rocket could be modified to fly on 3 fins? Also wondering if I could get a replacement. Estes website doesn’t sell them. I’ve seen upgrade kits with plywood fins, which are pricey but are an option. Thanks in advance for any advice!

It probably could be modified, but you'd have to add a bunch of weight to the nose to compensate for ther higher CP (CP that's closer to the nose).

Try simming your design in OpenRocket and see what happens.

Unlikely to need nose weight. It's a long rocket and the Bertha is known for being very (over) stable. It's how it survives being so big and having slow liftoffs. Unless someone launches in a breeze, then it can weather cock.

But yes, it would be a good exercise to model it in OR and see what three fins would do.

Or you could just go to a hobby shop/Hobby Lobby, buy some wood, and remake the fin.

How far misaligned? Depending on the severity you could likely just sand the edges enough to even things out and just use it. Big Bertha (in whatever size) is a very forgiving design.

I agree with @SolarYellow that added noseweight, should you opt to go with there fins, would be unnecessary. You'd just be making a Super Big Betty. The Quest Big Betty is, for all intents and purposes, just a three-finned Big Bertha.

Back