Stormbringer 1 Interplanetary Missile, 29mm + 18mm x 3 outrigger boosters (ORK) by Bob Gallo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormbringergrey

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
TRF noob so I'm not sure if there's a proper format for this type of post but I thought I would share my OpenRocket reverse engineer of a scratch built design I put together in the late 90s. The Stormbringer 1 is an interplanetary missile with with an atmospheric booster module for surface deployment. Main feature is a central 29mm motor mount with three 18mm mounts in the outboard boosters. The booster pods are equipped with drogue shoots, primary recovery is conventional from the central body.

stormcomp.jpg

Attachments

• Stormbringer_1.ork
    5.3 KB · Views: 0
Cool design, and very nice paint and decal work (let's see that in the ORK file :))

Note you have a body discontinuity: the 98mm BT is 4.016" but the aft end of the transition before it is 4".

Thanks. I will go back in and tweak the file. This was my first attempt at an OpenRocket design (technically a recreation). I had a hard time matching components to what is currently commercially available. I remember the nose cone was a LOC PNC-98 because I loved the aggressive look of the 5-to-1 ratio ogive shape (still do). I remember the boosters were BT80's with Big Bertha style PNC's, and of course I remember the motor configuration, everything else I scaled from the few digital pictures I have. I was flying this before every cell phone at the field had a studio quality camera. I've got a good video of a failed, underpowered 4 engine attempt and a successful single engine cert flight, but no record of many later successful cluster shots.

Back