Stock Estes Door Knob

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbooregon

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just ordered and am planning a Estes Door Knob build. I will paper the fins and thinking about how to reinforce the cardboard centering rings without adding a lot of weight.
Will this configuration handle most G engines? Without going to aftermarket plywood fins etc is there any other mod that I should consider? All advice welcome.
As they say here in the UK: "keep calm and fly rockets."
Cheers
James
Ayr Scotland

I fly mine on an F15-4.. it's built "stock" right from the package. No issues here.

Yes, stock on Gs and Hs here. Used yellow glue, too. No problem! It's one stout, sturdy, interlocked rocket. I want to order another one.

Are you going to finish it white and orange? Or get the special light blue decals?

The original cardstock rings should be fine on G motors. If you think it needs some added stoutnesses cut an extra upper ring from like cardstock. I like to skip using the slot/notch in the middle centering and use it as a typical centering ring, that way I can do internal glue fillets the whole length of the fin tabs before installing the aft ring.

But built carefully as it comes should be fine on even low-end H motors.

The original cardstock rings should be fine on G motors. If you think it needs some added stoutnesses cut an extra upper ring from like cardstock. I like to skip using the slot/notch in the middle centering and use it as a typical centering ring, that way I can do internal glue fillets the whole length of the fin tabs before installing the aft ring.

But built carefully as it comes should be fine on even low-end H motors.
Tnx Scott, sounds great!😎

So reinforcing with card stock would be enough, and looking up the GSM of a cereal box seems to be fine. ?? Thanks all for your response.

Interestingly, the scale fin thickness for a 3-in single stage Doorknob is only 3/32 inch.
I happen to have both the stock balsa fins and Vander Burn plywood fins handy. Not really seeing much in the way of difference in thickness.

I know that in the US measurements of wood/lumber measurements are "nominal", as in, LESS than advertised. Infuriating (i.e., BULLSHIT), but so be it.

20231212_215119.jpg
20231212_215213.jpg

Birch ply is most often produced to metric standards. Your measurements show 3mm, within likely manufacturing tolerance. Scale thickness would be 0.095 inch, slightly less than 2.5mm. 3/32 inch is 0.093 or so.
OK. Just trying to show you what the actual measurements are.

I guess what you're getting at is that the Estes Doorknob is not a true scale model. No surprise there. It's Estes.

Thanks for the pics Gastrok, they do indeed look nice. Maybe I'll do a second knob with those fins.
I'd be interested in the added nose weight too Jeff.

Solar, I appreciate scale models too, but what would you do, try and sand 1/6th off the fins? one would have to have two for sure, a flier and a desktop queen.

I got those for my doorknob and flew it on an E20-4 with the nose weight that came with it, flew awesome. By eye I'd say it went around 500-600 if that even matters. I did build it heavy for a mid power rocket.
I've flown my on F27-4's a bunch of times with similar results. The plywood parts make it into a tank. Mine has "landed" multiple times with a partially functional chute and come out fine.

Hi all,
I just ordered and am planning a Estes Door Knob build. I will paper the fins and thinking about how to reinforce the cardboard centering rings without adding a lot of weight.
Will this configuration handle most G engines? Without going to aftermarket plywood fins etc is there any other mod that I should consider? All advice welcome.
As they say here in the UK: "keep calm and fly rockets."
Cheers
James
Ayr Scotland

If you paper the fins you should be fine on a G motor. As for the centering rings, You don't really need to be concerned as this model has through the wall fins so they will take the force of the motor on launch and ejection.

During the build, I'd recommend upgrading to a Kevlar shock cord and attaching the shock cord to the upper centering ring. If you choose to do this, you might want to add a small piece of plywood under the upper ring where the Kevlar attached. Since Kevlar doesn't really stretch, it puts a bit of a shock on the mounting point. Any scrap of ply you have laying around will work just fine.

Here is an example of what I'm describing.

15.jpg10.jpg

Back