Started as a barbell and is now a spool.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threemorewishes

Reaction score
This one started out as a barbell but I changed it at the last minute to the classic motor flush with the base design. I flew it this weekend on a G78 Blue Streak for its inaugural test flight. Nice and straight to apogee and a gentle ride down on the parachute. Its next flight will be on a bigger motor leading up to a J impulse flight. LDRS30 or bust!

DSCN4444.jpg

DSCN4443.jpg

Looks heavy ;) Any method you use when making spools? Like ,diameter to height ratio?

Barspool! I like that name. Can I borrow it?

It is heavy (20 ounces) but thats not a concern as it is not made for altitude and its not tumble recovered. A 24" chute gets ejected from the top tube and is held fast by a tubular nylon shock cord securly anchored to the top disks.

The design was based on the materials I had to work with more than any set rules. I only had 15.5" of motor tube and I still wanted to have a parachute compartment. The three dowels were added to keep the soon to be flown J impulse motor from crumpling the thin walled cardboard motor tube.

The tubing is just LOC 38mm motor mount cardboard tubing covered with foil duct tape. The disks are 3/16" thick Luan plywood cut out on a scroll saw. The biggest disk is 9" in diameter and the smallest is 3" in diameter. I had one 24"x24" sheet of the plywood and this was the most disks I could cut out without getting too overly concerned about maximizing the available surface area.

It flew perfectly straight on the G78 so I am interested to see if a significant increase in average and total impulse will change the flight characteristics.

Thanks for your interest.

LDRS30 or bust!

Barspool! I like that name. Can I borrow it?

It is heavy (20 ounces) but thats not a concern as it is not made for altitude and its not tumble recovered. A 24" chute gets ejected from the top tube and is held fast by a tubular nylon shock cord securly anchored to the top disks.

The design was based on the materials I had to work with more than any set rules. I only had 15.5" of motor tube and I still wanted to have a parachute compartment. The three dowels were added to keep the soon to be flown J impulse motor from crumpling the thin walled cardboard motor tube.

The tubing is just LOC 38mm motor mount cardboard tubing covered with foil duct tape. The disks are 3/16" thick Luan plywood cut out on a scroll saw. The biggest disk is 9" in diameter and the smallest is 3" in diameter. I had one 24"x24" sheet of the plywood and this was the most disks I could cut out without getting too overly concerned about maximizing the available surface area.

It flew perfectly straight on the G78 so I am interested to see if a significant increase in average and total impulse will change the flight characteristics.

Thanks for your interest.

LDRS30 or bust!
Foil duct tape,Ive used it to chrome a few things.The name=Barspool,if it works for you,fine with I.I do beleave there are 2 others rockets out there that I have had the honor of tagging a name to. Now, just so ya know, if ya use the name, that leaves you with only 2 more wishes :neener: Have a great day.

The Barspool flies...again! This picture is the CTI G79 Blue Streak. I flew it again on a CTI H143. Next flight will be on an I212 then a J335.

IMG_1404.jpg

Looks like your in a lake that is drying up.??????Anywhoo- looks like a winner to me.

Here's a shot of the BarSpool at LDRS30 about to go up on a CTI I297 Skidmark. We changed the 38mm cardboard LOC motor tube for a G10 motor tube in the hotel room the night before. The last time I flew the rocket (on a CTI I223 Smoky Sam) the applied forces compressed/flexed the three maple dowels and motor tube enough to break the epoxy around the motor tube and bottom spool plate. As well as breaking the epoxy it crumpled the motor tube enough so that the foil tape was creased and lifting up. With the G10 motor tube this rocket should now be bullet proof and ready for a J motor. Working on a rocket in a hotel room was a first for me!
Thanks for looking.
Greg
IMG_2822.jpg

Last edited:
Back