Star Speeder Up-Scale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Davidson

Reaction score
I'm almost finished my Star Speeder up-scale. This is from plans that I downloaded from JimZ's website and begain modifying. Notice the Colonial Viper nose cone. I hope to begin the Viper after this has been completed.

Looking good!

What's the scale factor? Or, a better question: what size tube did you use for the short, rear section?

I like it very much. What's the planned motor/altitude?

G

The scale factor is roughly X2. The tube at the rear is 100mm millimeters in diameter and 130 millimetrs long. The smaller tube is 48mm in diameter and runs though the entire lenghth to the nose cone about 760 millimeters (or 30 inches) the nose cone adds another 90 millimeters (or 3 1/2 inches). I hoping to add some scale markers to my drawings. To help other people duplicate my templates. I used Sturdy Board for the fins. and the canopy and nose cone was printed directly on to 110 Cardstock paper then cut out. I know alot of you guys take things more seriosly with Balsa and stuff, but it gets harder for the average joe to find these days. I needed to comb three different Hardware chains to find anybody who stocks it. Some day I'll make or find a good CNC mill to cut my Fins for me. Like an old table plotter with the pen tip switched for a drummel tool. Oh to dream. As for the motor I haven't made the mount yet. Since I'm not party to a real rocket club I'm stuck with D's to power my rocket. I made a fairly large ATD rocket a few years ago an it got some good altitude with a single D so I'll just stick to it for now.

I swear the rocket is staight. but here a look down the nose cone. If you look closer you can see the platic cap I glued inside the cone to look like some sort of scanner disk.

I finnally got it off the ground. I got two launches out of it before I had to pack it in. I used too small a chute for the first launch. The tail fin on the large part of the rocket took most of the brunt on landing and twisted quite a bit on landing. The second launch it nearly ripped it off. I may remount the new fin further forward. Te Star Speeder Upscale went straight off the pad perfectly. Here's some pics of it on the Pad before launch. It's nearly 34 inches long and was launched on a single D12-5 motor.

P1000231sm.jpg

P1000232sm.jpg

P1000243sm.jpg

P1000244sm.jpg

Back