Sputnik

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you see Sputnik ?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

johnnwwa

Reaction score
After watching "October Sky " for the umpteenth time, I love this movie. I thought I'd post a poll . I grew up during this time and saw Sputnik in 1957 and followed the space race way cool. Great time to be a kid. So my question to you all is this.

Did you see Sputnik yes or no?

BAR
John

October sky is IMO one of the best movies ever. its what inspired me to get back into rockets when i started getting bored of RC cars.

I was 25 months old when Sputnik was launched so I suppose if somebody pointed it out to me in the night sky I could have seen it ...

My actual earliest memories are of watching mercury-redstone flights in 1962 on a black and white tv.

born in 66, wasnt even a sprarkel in the old mans eyes yet..

I do remember the last moon launch though. My dad was an officer in the Navy.. and I remember him making such a big deal out of it as being our "Last chance" on the moon for a long time.

later
Jerryb

Originally posted by johnnwwa
Did you see Sputnik yes or no?

Nope, but I've seen four Shuttle launches:

STS-37
STS-47
STS-59
STS-79

(Bonus points for readers able to figure out the common thread in those flights.)

and I've seen hundreds of sounding rocket launches out of Wallops Island.

Do I get a consolation prize (grin)??

I was born in 1958. I do remember all aof the Apolo flights and even John Glen orbititng the earth.

Originally posted by narprez
Nope, but I've seen four Shuttle launches:

STS-37
STS-47
STS-59
STS-79

(Bonus points for readers able to figure out the common thread in those flights.)

and I've seen hundreds of sounding rocket launches out of Wallops Island.

Do I get a consolation prize (grin)??
Not without a Saturn V launch, you don't. And I find your question an apt one.;)

[edit]oops, forgot the OP's question. No, I did not.

October 4th was my birthday; I was six.

I'm sure it was a few days later, but I recall a public announcement about when it could be seen, and I remember watching it from the back yard with my parents.

GC

October 4 was also my birthday, I was negative, umm, a lot.

I'm only 19 so I didn't see anything. It's amazing how many satelites are in orbit today. And people live on one of them! You might be happy to know that some of the russian engineers that worked on Sputnik are still alive today and are helping us make our rockets better.

Yes, I saw it.

I turned 9 in 1957 and I remember standing out in the back yard with my father and brothers to watch it go by.

There were a few others that we also saw because the newscasters would tell you when to go out and watch.

It wasn't long before satellite launches were no longer news so the overflight schedues weren't broadcast.

I haven't seen any big rocket launchs besides a few N2000 at XPRS. But I do have something i bet no one else has. I have a Titan 2 fuel mixer.

Latest posts

Back