Space Race : The Untold Story (STARTS SUNDAY JUNE 4 9P et/pt)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmkSignals

Reaction score
On the National Geographic Channel, STARTS SUNDAY JUNE 4 9P et/pt. https://www9.nationalgeographic.com/channel/spacerace/index.html

Show Description

Two nuclear superpowers reach for the stars in an effort led by a former Nazi scientist and a Soviet prisoner.

Follow Wernher von Braun as he escapes Nazi and Soviet forces to lead U.S. development of rocket technology. The genius rocket scientist also proves to be a brilliant escape artist, as he evades would-be killers to surrender his research and scientists to U.S. forces.

Then, hear the untold story of Sergei Korolev, the Soviet scientist who suffers as a political prisoner and almost single-handedly makes the Russian space program a reality. Denounced by his colleagues, Korolev nearly dies in a brutal Siberian gulag, but lives to eventually be honored as a hero of the Soviet Union.

Thanks to recently declassified documents from the Soviet Union and the United States, we can see the space race as it really was. Veiled behind a desire to reach the heavens, we can now see that the race to space was really an attempt by two superpowers to develop nuclear-capable missiles. Behind this wall of secrets lies a world where scores of Soviet scientists burn to death during a single rocket mishap, and Astronauts ride unpredictable rockets skyward. Both Soviet and U.S. advances stun the world as the first satellites, animals, and people pierce the atmosphere for the first time, and safely—and sometimes not-so-safely—orbit the Earth.

See what it really took to put a man on the moon, and how one small step for man required one giant leap in science and technology.

I have my TIVO set !!! :D :D :D

That looks like the one that the BBC showed a while back, maybe last year. It's an excellent series, well worth keeping.

Enjoy it :D

Ditto, I saw one episode featuring apollo 11, and was simply amazed by what a bailing wire and chewing gum the whole affair was. Never get off the ground in todays climate. Very, very interesting as you get the unofficial/real story told by the major players themselves.
JS

I just wanted to bump this thread to the top, in case anyone missed it the first time around. I was about to post a VCR/TIVO alert here when I saw someone had beaten me to it by a few days. :D

This looks like it will be a fantastic show, and a must see for anyone interested in the early days of the space age.

Part 1: Not half bad. Bit cornball here and there and tending toward stereotypes, but overall pretty interesting and entertaining depiction of the excitement and insanity of the early days. Can't wait for part 2.
JS

I really enjoyed Part 1. I am amazed by how much of the early rocket/missile development with done under direct threat of their lives. A hard way to build something; successfully launch a rocket or go back to prison or be killed.

The R1 is a cluster's dream come true.

Originally posted by smksignals
On the National Geographic Channel, STARTS SUNDAY JUNE 4 9P et/pt. https://www9.nationalgeographic.com/channel/spacerace/index.html

Show Description

Sorry. Didn't like it. I was skeptical going in, and when they got ready to launch the Jupiter test shot, and the prop they used had a V-2 bottom with goofy fins tacked on to it, I gave up.

When I get the rest of my books unpacked and on bookshelves, I'll put together a "Space Race History" recommended reading list for folks as an alternative to this dreary program!

I found it enjoyable as well. I liked the graphics, putting the inaccuracies aside. The scene of Korolev showing Kruschev the R-7 was great.

Can't wait to see what they do with the N-1 launches!!!!!

Jason

Worse yet I thought was Van Braun's situation, be itching to build and then being relegated to the scrapheap/back burner by US army. (Sort of like us and the BATF if we don't keep on fighting the good fight, and now, my life doesn't depend on getting the L3 to fly properly!)

At least his russian counterpart was building. The only under threat of death duress I saw was by the Nazi's--and then they were still being well taken care of with their big chateau, etc. Interesting how both programs depended so heavily on the Germans to get their footing--and but for beating the russians to the punch by a few days/weeks, things might have definitely gone the other way with regard to reaching the moon first, etc.
JS;

I kinda liked it. Effects are a bit cheesy, but overall not bad. I loved the liftoff shots of the R-7, though, and Kruschev's comment about "We'll roll them off the assembly line like sausages!".

THere was one quote that had me absolutely rolling on the floor, but I can't remember what it was now...I think it was Von Braun before one of the Jupiter launches, but I can't remember it now...dang...

Was it just me, or did the V2's look a bit....off?

Originally posted by narprez
When I get the rest of my books unpacked and on bookshelves, I'll put together a "Space Race History" recommended reading list for folks as an alternative to this dreary program!

Oh please do this! I've started a collection of this type of books and would love to find others. You might start a separate thread so we can discuss the books. :D

EDIT; I have a book review section on my website. I would to put up any review of books people have read. Just email or PM and I'll upload them to my website.

Originally posted by Loopy
I kinda liked it. .....THere was one quote that had me absolutely rolling on the floor, but I can't remember what it was now...I think it was Von Braun before one of the Jupiter launches, but I can't remember it now...dang...

Could it have been his quip about the failed Vanguard launch being put in headlines of the various papers ?

"I think this headline is the best, 'Kaput-Nik' !"

Originally posted by Art Upton
Could it have been his quip about the failed Vanguard launch being put in headlines of the various papers ?

"I think this headline is the best, 'Kaput-Nik' !"

That was one of them, but there was something else right around the time they were getting ready to launch. Dang - it's killing me! I'll have to re-watch it now...lol

I remembered what the quote was now! It wasn't necessarily a quote, but the scene with the "Longstanding Soviet Tradition" that shows the team lining up next to the launch pad to relieve themselves...I was rolling! I think I'll have to try that on my next HPR flight...

Well, now that I've seen both parts, I feel a bit disappointed.

I felt that the dramatic recreations of the individuals involved were well-done. The degree to which they recreated the facilities, period architecture, clothing, etc. was impressive and the acting - although a little cliched at times- was good enough, and the character likenesses were often uncannily real. CGI recreations of rockets were well done.

But, I was very disappointed at the factual errors, misleading statements, and plain old mistakes in the narration, as if the screenplay had been written by someone with no space history knowledge who merely glossed over the book, carried their misinterpretations into the script, and then failed to have the script fact-checked. Since this show was originally broadcast by the BBC, these mistakes should have been corrected before it was broadcast here in the U.S. by the National Geographic Channel.

Other problems, like incorrectly drawn CGI rockets (well drawn, but incorrectly!), which sometimes changed from scene to scene, were a disappointment too.

Finally, I think they rushed through the whole N-1 and Apollo programs far too quickly, as if they had realized - at the last minute - that they had to squeeze this entire aspect of the show into a tiny amount of time remaining between the last 3 or 4 commercial breaks. Alone, these two development programs could have filled an extra 2-hour episode. They also left out or largely ignored important Soviet firsts, like the first 2-man and 3-man crews, and Valentina Tereshkova's flight.

I would give it 3 1/2 (out of 5) stars... lamentably, because with a tiny bit more effort I think they could have made it into a 4 1/2 star production.

Still, I would say this show is a "must see" for anybody interested in space history.

>Finally, I think they rushed through the whole N-1 and Apollo >programs far too quickly, as if they had realized - at the last >minute - that they had to squeeze this entire aspect of the >show into a tiny amount of time remaining between the last 3 or >4 commercial breaks.

There are no commercials on the BBC.

Ah, but did you know that the BBC is on Quest?

(They use the BBC website as a placeholder for links that are in work. Try the 'search" button on the home page to see.)

https://www.questaerospace.com/

As long as I'm spiralling way off topic, we also get BBC on Sirius Satellite Radio in North America.

BBC Radio 1 on Sirius 11

BBC World Service on Sirius 141

For television, we must get our Dr. Who on the Sci Fi Channel and a smattering of other shows on "BBC America".

Originally posted by spacecadet
>Finally, I think they rushed through the whole N-1 and Apollo >programs far too quickly, as if they had realized - at the last >minute - that they had to squeeze this entire aspect of the >show into a tiny amount of time remaining between the last 3 or >4 commercial breaks.

There are no commercials on the BBC.

Originally posted by vjp
...snip..
But, I was very disappointed at the factual errors, misleading statements, and plain old mistakes in the narration, as if the screenplay had been written by someone with no space history knowledge who merely glossed over the book, carried their misinterpretations into the script, and then failed to have the script fact-checked. Since this show was originally broadcast by the BBC, these mistakes should have been corrected before it was broadcast here in the U.S. by the National Geographic Channel.

...snip...

Yeah, I must say my initial enthusiasm got tempered by the blatant mistakes.

The most obvious contradiction to me was when Shephard was told in the dramatization that he would be the making the "first sub-orbital flight." Then the narration immediately talked about him being the tapped for the first American "orbital flight". The exact quotes I may be mangling, but it was just seconds apart.

I have a large appetite for these types of shows, so no one show will fully satisfy my cravings. I liked what I saw, but the show left me wanting to see even more and to see it more accurately.

Oh well. I really liked the full-size images of the rockets.

Just my opinions.

Jason

Speaking of errors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Seven

You said "Shephard".

He was "Shepard".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_B._Shepard

;)

Originally posted by jjnodice
Yeah, I must say my initial enthusiasm got tempered by the blatant mistakes.

The most obvious contradiction to me was when Shephard was told in the dramatization that he would be the making the "first sub-orbital flight." Then the narration immediately talked about him being the tapped for the first American "orbital flight". The exact quotes I may be mangling, but it was just seconds apart.

I have a large appetite for these types of shows, so no one show will fully satisfy my cravings. I liked what I saw, but the show left me wanting to see even more and to see it more accurately.

Oh well. I really liked the full-size images of the rockets.

Just my opinions.

Jason

Doh! I get a double Fred Sanford Big Dummy award on that one. I am prone to spelling it Shepherd and I specifically looked it up and "fixed" it. Oh well. So much for trying.

shreadvector, I think you and I proved a point about the show. Somebody with smarts should have peer reviewed the script before it went into production.

Gee...Imagine if they had gotten Jon Yung or Jean Sernan to look it over before they filmed it...:rolleyes: :D :kill:

Mark wrote:

>>>>>
remembered what the quote was now! It wasn't necessarily a quote, but the scene with the "Longstanding Soviet Tradition" that shows the team lining up next to the launch pad to relieve themselves...I was rolling! I think I'll have to try that on my next HPR flight...
<<<<<

That’s one of several inaccuracies in the show. The tradition did not start with the R7 missile’s launch crew. It started years later, when Yuri Gagarin realized he needed to go BEFORE he boarded Vostok-1. That became a tradition that fellow Cosmonauts have done ever since, including many American astronauts that have flown on Soyuzes.

I didn’t keep a list, but aside from some of the goofy appearances of some of the rockets, was the Jupiter-C. The air rudders drooped down nearly to the ground.

Also, the lettering UE was only on the Jupiter-C (aka Juno-1) that launched Explorer-1, as each Redstone and Jupiter-C vehicle had its own unique alphabetic code to cloak its actual production number. Vehicle UE was the 29th Redstone-based rocket. The code was simply based on the letters for Huntsville, with the second L left out and X added at the end for zero, like this:
HUNTSVILEX

So, the earlier Jupiter-C that was flown in the show, for re-entry warhead nose testing, where they showed the lettering UE on it too, was wrong. I don’t know offhand what number and letter that one was, I’d have to dig out some stuff, but there was only one UE. Also for that one, they didn’t show the right nose section on the Jupiter-C, they left off the entire spinning tub assembly which contained the 2nd and 3rd stage clustered solid rockets that were used to accelerate the test warhead reentry nose cone to the desired velocity. The one that put Explorer-1 into orbit, UE, used the exact same spinning tub assembly but had a 4th stage added on top of the tub assembly instead of a test re-entry nose.

Actually, the show blew the opportunity to make a reference to the odd but true fact that someone in Washington ordered a military person at the Cape to personally inspect the warhead nose cone test flight to make sure that no 4th stage was installed to “accidentally” put it into orbit.

When the explosion of the first N-1 (Russian moon rocket) occurred, the show said there were 100 people killed. I’ve never heard of anyone being killed by any of the N-1 failures, so that’s either recent news or another mistake by the show. Not to be confused with the Nedelin Disaster of the early 1960’s, which definitely occurred and at least fittingly killed the general who was being so foolhardy by forcing workers to work on a fully fueled missile.

- George Gassaway

Originally posted by George Gassaway

When the explosion of the first N-1 (Russian moon rocket) occurred, the show said there were 100 people killed. I’ve never heard of anyone being killed by any of the N-1 failures, so that’s either recent news or another mistake by the show. ..
- George Gassaway [/B]

That's what I thought. They also tossed out the fact that the N-1 had an amazing 4500 pounds of thrust.

While I enjoyed -some- of the dramatization, most was too cornball and error-filled for me; clicked 'delete' on the TIVO.

GC

Originally posted by jjnodice
The scene of Korolev showing Kruschev the R-7 was great.

Back in the early 90s the Ft Worth Museum sponsored a "Soviet Space" exhibit, complete with tons of ex-Soviet hardware. They brought a LARGE (15 or 20 feet long, IIRC) model of the R7 launch pad with rail lines, rail cars, large R7 model, rotating launch pad, and simulated smoke (a big blast of CO2/water with red spotlights shining through) for the launch.

This model (of the whole launch pad, not just the rocket) was an incredible work of art. The railroad cars rolled out, erected the R7 onto the launch pad, and the pad turned into position for launch. At T=zero, the rocket model rose a few inches and the CO2 blasted out the bottom of the pad through the deflector buckets, onto the crowd (who always jumped backwards). Of course, the whole thing was scratch-built. And when they operated it (every hour, on the hour) it drew huge crowds. And it broke down about every other time.

We asked the Sovs what the problems were, if there was anything we could do to help, and they politely declined our offers. We eventually found out that all the electrical contacts in the model (that controlled movements and limited travel of the parts) were hand cut pieces of brass strip that either 'made' contact or 'lost' contact as the parts passed by each other. They couldn't get real switches so they had to make their own. They spent the other 55 minutes of each hour cleaning and polishing those switches so they might actually work for the next show.

Said all that to say this: we asked why they built such and incredible simulator and they said: Kruschev wanted to know what they were spending all that money for, out in the middle of nowhere, but he wouldn't get on an airplane and go see. So they built the model and took it to him in Moscow. It was really only designed to operate a few times back then, not hundreds of times in Ft Worth.

Originally posted by powderburner
The railroad cars rolled out, erected the R7 onto the launch pad, and the pad turned into position for launch. At T=zero, the rocket model rose a few inches and the CO2 blasted out the bottom of the pad through the deflector buckets, onto the crowd (who always jumped backwards).

Wouldn't be great if we had an actual R7 rocket (say about 10'-12') and the way we launched it was to back the railroad car out to the High Power Pads, erected the rocket and then actually launched it!!!!!

Back