SkyTrax vs Corn Field

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starfire73

OpenRocket Wannabe
Reaction score
Yup, that's a corn field all right!

This is a screen shot from my Universal Astrocam video on board an Estes SkyTrax, just before landing in the corn field. It was only a hundred feet or so into the field (which is a lot for a corn field). Four of us took our time and carefully walked the rows until we found it. With an Astrocam AND a JL Altimeter2 on board - I wasn't leaving that field until I found it!

What happened? The rocket weather cocked way more than I expected and headed out over the corn field. In addition, the chute got a spill hole burned in it upon ejection and a shroud line also let loose. So it didn't float back to us on the light wind as I expected. The corn was about 4' - 5' high.

1656981811124.png

Side note: I'm a rocket builder at heart but for some reason I like putting that SkyTrax (read to fly) up alot. Maybe because it's so durable and I don't have any time invested in it.

Last edited:
You need one of those bluetooth locaters such as a tile.
One of the fields used by our local club sometimes has 5' tall weeds, I've walked by my rocket a few feet away and missed it. We use long pink streamers in hopes that they will drape over the weeds and be more easily seen.

You need one of those bluetooth locaters such as a tile.
One of the fields used by our local club sometimes has 5' tall weeds, I've walked by my rocket a few feet away and missed it. We use long pink streamers in hopes that they will drape over the weeds and be more easily seen.
I was wondering if one of those apple tags would work. We don't have cell coverage where my club launches so it would have to be something that doesn't rely on cell coverage.

I was wondering if one of those apple tags would work. We don't have cell coverage where my club launches so it would have to be something that doesn't rely on cell coverage.
The tile things are bluetooth only, if it is within bluetooth range of your phone the phone can send a signal telling it to make noise so you can find it, bluetooth range is something like 20'. It doesn't require cell signal but the airtags do. We had a thread somewhere about different devices, you can get things for your dog's collar that track gps location but they require cell signal.

There are several different trackers available for rocketry use - the two least expensive but reportedly most effective for the money are the Marco Polo pet/drone RDF style consisting of a small tracker unit and a handheld directional unit, those are only available directly from the maker Eureka Products and cost $265 and up, the other is the solder it yourself Eggfinder GPS kits from Eggtimer Rocketry which, during their Black Friday sale, can be had for well under $100. Neither of these need cell service or rely on the limited range of Bluetooth devices to function. There are several other systems (BigRedBee, Apogee’s Simple Tracker, Altus Metrum’s TeleGPS are a few) that may need a ham radio license depending on the strength/frequency of the transmitter units and/or incorporate flight computers for dual deploy and telemetry systems but those typically cost more than a Marco Polo or Eggfinder.

Those Bluetooth “tiles” and “tags” might be useful for finding a rocket you have a good visual lock on that disappeared into dense crops or foliage but unless they‘re the versions that use cell service (some rely on soon to be obsolete 2/3G cell service so caveat emptor when you buy one off Ebay or Amazon) I’d be hesitant to use one to track a high dollar rocket or one I have a strong attachment to 😉

Maybe an audible personal security keychain alarm, aka a Screamer? Rig it up to pull the pin at ejection, or even right before launch? Might be kind of bulky with the little speaker.

Maybe an audible personal security keychain alarm, aka a Screamer? Rig it up to pull the pin at ejection, or even right before launch? Might be kind of bulky with the little speaker.
Exactly! In the March/April 2022 issue of "Sport Rocketry" (the NAR's magazine), there's a good DIY "Screamer" that works like what you described that has a pull-pin that is pulled out at ejection. It's not what I would call "micro" but it's not too big either.

What happens if your rocket gets stuck in a tree or on a power line next to someone's house? Tell the home owner to just deal with it?

This is why I'm hesitant to use any noisemaking device (that can't be remotely turned off) to pinpoint a lost rocket.

What happens if your rocket gets stuck in a tree or on a power line next to someone's house? Tell the home owner to just deal with it?

This is why I'm hesitant to use any noisemaking device (that can't be remotely turned off) to pinpoint a lost rocket.
More or less. Otherwise hope the battery dies quickly.

This happened at out club launch this past Saturday. About the third rocket launched landed in a tall tree near the parking/prep area. We had to listen to it for about 4 hours- then the battery died.

Latest posts

Back