Shooters v Cat5 v Cat3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
Been making igniters using 26g "shooters wire" and Quickburst pyrogen - works great.

I've run out of wire but have plenty of Quickdip left. I've seen quite a few folks use "telephone wire" (which is generally Cat5) for their own homemade igniters. I have a fair amount of scrap Cat3 wire laying around which to me says "a bunch more - essentially free - igniters".

However, with a bit of internet poking around I've found some indication that Cat3 would not be desirable. Don't really know why. I do see that the Cat3 pairs are not twisted, but that seems minor to me.

So......any reason NOT to use all this free Cat3 scrap to make more igniters? I'm also thinking of using it for another purpose - which is to run from an altimeter/timer to an igniter in an airstarted second stage project I'm working on (about a 30" run) - any reason not to use it for this?

thanks in advance, s6

Quoting you (T-rex) from another thread - "There is no dumb question here..."
Are you implying that you've changed your mind on this?

s6

I have used CAT5, CAT6, and CAT3 wire. You can use just about any single stranded wires.

Honestly any 22 to 26 gauge solid wire will work. I purchased a "many thousand" foot telephone surplus wire spool like below (although mine is two-pair, four color) about five years ago now and I use it for everything including initiators, e-matches, av-bay wiring, etc. and have barely made a dent in it.

22-AWF-1-pair-cross-connect-cat3-RW-1.jpg.ashx

I'm sure you re fine. I use shooters and CAT5.

The twisted pair matters for networking. It reduces interference and distance you can do runs of cable. For ignitors (< 3' long) it doe not matter.

The twisted pair matters for networking. It reduces interference and distance you can do runs of cable.

Yeah, I pretty much "knew" this. I also could not see why that would matter for use as igniter leads. Hence my asking if maybe I was missing something.

I guess them being twisted would make the igniters a little easier to make and handle maybe - but again, not something that seemed all that big a deal to me.

Thanks for the input/advice, s6

Twisted is easier IMO than loose. Solid wire is stiffer than stranded, so I prefer solid.

All zip / shooters' wire is not twisted. So they would fail for ignitors if twisting was an issue.

I like zip / shooter's best. Cat5 is second - bonus is that it is cheap.

the only thing I have had happen is that some of the CAT wire plastic is teflon coated so the dip won't stick as well.. I just take the ends and dip them in acetone first before dipping and it seems to stick much better.

the only thing I have had happen is that some of the CAT wire plastic is teflon coated so the dip won't stick as well.. I just take the ends and dip them in acetone first before dipping and it seems to stick much better.

Cool. Excellent little tip.

thanks, s6

Never tried that. Makes sense. Thanks!

I stuff I have I got at a yard sale, don't know what it is for sure. It spools from the center and is contained in an OD green squat cylindrical container. Black 2 strand and I think it's oxidized aluminum for field phones. I scrub it with sand paper and wrap NiChrome around it to make motor starters.:cyclops:

Last edited:
I use Cat5 because I also have a lifetime supply of 'free' Cat5.

Twisting isn't an issue - do it yourself. Take a long strand, pair the two ends and chuck them up in your drill. Go to the other end and find the middle and hold it there (clamp it to something or loop it over something), and run the drill, keeping slight tension on the wire. It will twist nicely and shorten a little. Bring the drill toward the anchored end as it twists to keep the tension but not enough to break the wire. Works great.

The twisted wire is easier to work with and is a bit stiffer for longer ignitors.

--Lance.

Just finished up working on two jobs, One I installled 36,000 feet and the other I installed 28,000 plus 9,000 cat 6..as well as 1,000 feet of 50 pair telco cable.

I have pleanty of scrap left over the pigtails left over even after scrapping the old stuff that I had to remove.

If I had known I could have made ignightors I would have treated it in a better manner.. LOL

Like they said somewhere.. Everything is made for rockets, Just used for an alternative purpose.. LOL

Tom-

I've used primarily cat5 cable, we have miles of abandoned wire at work. Ive also used telephone wire, which is a slightly smaller diameter, 26 gauge I believe. I use the phone wire for smaller igniters that I use in 24mm reloads. I looked up cat3 vs. cat5, and it appears the only difference is in data speed. Since they're both 24 gauge, I'm assuming it has to do with the inner configuration of the cable. I'd say either would be more than adequate for igniters.

I too dip the ends in acetone before I coat them. The pyrogen adheres much better that way.

Well here is my input to the question on if Cat3 wire is usable or not for igniters and what differances there is between it and Cat5 wire.

Cat3 wire depending on manufacture is either a 26ga or 24ga, Looser twist to the pairs and a lower standard of test than Cat5 wire.
And was the standard for phone wire and computer hook up before Cat5 wire came along, other than the 22ga multi conductor wire that is made for phone line.

The inslulation that is on the wire will depend on if it is a riser or a plemum catorgory of wire. The riser quality is for general use in homes and such and the plemum wire is made of a low smoke burning compound that is better for comercial locations. Is is for any Cat 3 to 6 wire.

The Cat 3 having a smaller dia. of gage or copper will have more resistance per foot and the less twist will mean less wire length per foot over Cat5 or Cat 6.

The less twist is a losser wire and one reason why it is not liked for inginters is that the indvudal wirs cna slide and therfore either pulling or pushing on the nicrom end of the igniter which could break the bridge or cause the pirogen to break off. It would be nessacery to put a tighter twist in the pairs like Lance (llickteig1) has described.

So my answer is yes it can be used as well as shooters and Cat5 wire.
If you have it and works for you that is what it takes.

And for you information I work for a company that makes the stuff, Cat3 through 10 Gain.

Keith

Like many others, I use Cat5, because I have access to huge amounts of scrap. Some brands have each of the 4 pairs bonded together (like tiny zip cord), which makes it a bit harder to work with. A quick pull through a folded piece of fine grit sandpaper will roughen the insulation up enough to make the pyrogen stick well, even on the slippery plenum rated cables.

BTW, short sections of the Cat5 outer jacket make nice protective sleeves to slip over the dipped ends once they dry. Keeps them from getting bent/cracked before you stick them in the motor.

Latest posts

Back