Shipping Advice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexBruccoleri

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All, A friend wants to ship a pad to me and the overall weight is around $150 with everything. Does anyone have any recommendations for shipping? So far UPS seems better than the freight I can find, but they are coming over $500 which seems insane. It is a far shipment thought, California to Connecticut.

Thanks, Alex

150 lbs from California to Connecticut is going to be fairly expensive no matter what. If you need to save cash, you might try to spend time finding rocketeers going to big mid-country launches who may be able to tuck it into a trailer.

Last edited:
In addition to weight, you have to factor in the physical size of the item being shipping.

For example, I wouldn't be surprised if it was cheaper to ship a brick than it was to ship an uncompressed bed pillow.

In addition to weight, you have to factor in the physical size of the item being shipping.

For example, I wouldn't be surprised if it was cheaper to ship a brick than it was to ship an uncompressed bed pillow.
In some cases it is.....

Freight is based on several things, mileage, fuel, cubic volume (aka Cube in the freight lingo), and weight, add to that any discounts that a shipper negotiates with the carrier (sometimes known as a pallet rate). Best bet is to look for an LTL (less than trailer load carrier) that has nationwide or fairly large coverage (YRC, Old Dominion, Fed Ex Ground, UPS Ground, there are others), odds are thats who you already checked with, because UPS and FedEx package services dont deal with packages weighing that much without a massive surcharge (if at all).

The best would be if you can get as someone recommended a friend to take it to a launch closer to you or maybe get several friends to pass it off to each other eventually getting to a point you can meet and take possesion of the package (sounds cools, but its way more difficult generally than it sounds).

Back