Senior Project Research Paper

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking for topics to write a research paper on for my senior project.
Perhaps a little more information...what are the guidelines for the paper? Anything science-related? Or just anything at all? How long is it to be? Do you have to do actual research? As a chem prof I consider research to mean "go into the lab/garage and do something". Googling or hitting the library is "literature search."

Posting here suggests you're interested in rocketry; there is an unlimited number of topics possible. Perhaps think "The Effect of Varying <independent variable> on <dependent variable.>" With OpenRocket one can simulate the effect of a variable, then build a rocket(s) to see how well practice agrees with the sims.

Don't do something trivial. Effect of weight, nose cone shape, airframe diameter on altitude are all well-known. Get creative!

And if you're planning to graduate in June 2023...need to move FAST. Whatever topic you select, it'll take twice as long as you think it will. Graduating in 2024 gives you breathing space.

Hope this helps. Holler if you have questions.
Terry

I'm looking for topics to write a research paper on for my senior project.
1st of all... Welcome to The Rocketry Forum :computer:

To your question: Do you have access to a wind tunnel? If yes, then "Base Drag Affect On a Rocket's Stability"

Check out the 3 links below for more information.... and good luck on your project.

2023-03-18 Saturn V Simulation As Built.jpg1680702204731.png

Last edited:
Perhaps a little more information...what are the guidelines for the paper? Anything science-related? Or just anything at all? How long is it to be? Do you have to do actual research? As a chem prof I consider research to mean "go into the lab/garage and do something". Googling or hitting the library is "literature search."

Posting here suggests you're interested in rocketry; there is an unlimited number of topics possible. Perhaps think "The Effect of Varying <independent variable> on <dependent variable.>" With OpenRocket one can simulate the effect of a variable, then build a rocket(s) to see how well practice agrees with the sims.

Don't do something trivial. Effect of weight, nose cone shape, airframe diameter on altitude are all well-known. Get creative!

And if you're planning to graduate in June 2023...need to move FAST. Whatever topic you select, it'll take twice as long as you think it will. Graduating in 2024 gives you breathing space.

Hope this helps. Holler if you have questions.
Terry
This is not that in-depth of a paper. It would fall under the literature search. The paper I'm writing is for people who don't know anything about rockets. My rough draft is due in 2 weeks.

Back