Sealing unpainted Fiberglass?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ONAWHIM

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is sealing unpainted fiberglass done by anyone?
I wear gloves and other PPE when working with FG but find that post construction I have an issue with my hands from the microfibers.
Take for instance the unpainted coupler, AV bay shoulders or bulkheads, can they be sealed?

Is sealing unpainted fiberglass done by anyone?
I wear gloves and other PPE when working with FG but find that post construction I have an issue with my hands from the microfibers.
Take for instance the unpainted coupler, AV bay shoulders or bulkheads, can they be sealed?
You can apply thin laminating epoxy to seal up cut edges or drilled areas, coating a coupler though may cause fitment issues

Seal all your cut or drilled edges with ca.
Most kits will not be a problem other than those cut edges.

Sand all edges/holes with sand paper, I like to use something above 220 but less than 600 grit.

Seal all said edges/holes with thin CA, then re-sand edges just to break the roughness that CA leaves.

Spray with a few coats of clearcoat, 2K clear is the best. This will leave the rocket the color of your FG, but dramatically deepen the color. It makes the rocket beautiful in my opinion. Especially FW black FG.

Back