Scratch build well mostly

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been working on this for 3 months. I'm pretty proud I welcome all feedback on this build.
You should be proud... impressive build. My only comment would be for you to post some in-process build photo's , if you have any.... and maybe tell us more information about the rocket.

Rockets are born to fly! Just be sure to get plenty of good photos before first flight. 😀
And, just maybe, give it one flight then put it on a shelf. Personally, I don't consider a build complete until it's had its first flight. After that, if I ever built something that nice, I might not want to risk it a second time.

And, just maybe, give it one flight then put it on a shelf. Personally, I don't consider a build complete until it's had its first flight. After that, if I ever built something that nice, I might not want to risk it a second time.
First flight: essential
Second flight: pushing your luck (maybe) 😉

Last edited:
What is the model constructed from ?How were the curved body parts made and the detailing? Shaped balsa parts? Was it all 3d printed?
Card stock balsa bamboo skewers the launch escape tower is made from ball point pen parts & a plastic grease tip. The grid part of the grid fins was a small hanger I cut to size in fourths. The round tank tops I utilized the bottom of plastic Easter eggs. The connecting sections between the tanks I utilized old nylon guitar strings. Lots of measuring cutting gluing cursing & second guessing myself.

Card stock balsa bamboo skewers the launch escape tower is made from ball point pen parts & a plastic grease tip. The grid part of the grid fins was a small hanger I cut to size in fourths. The round tank tops I utilized the bottom of plastic Easter eggs. The connecting sections between the tanks I utilized old nylon guitar strings. Lots of measuring cutting gluing cursing & second guessing myself.
Oh man this would have made a great build thread.

So the really skinny (translated “fragile-looking”) short segment of the nose is the inside plastic piece of a ballpoint pen?

That would be brilliant. Otherwise if that’s wood, while is still hope you get the semi-obligatory first flight, I think intact recovery chances are sketchy.

Last edited:

That’s a really impressive build using these kinds of materials.

Edit to add: It seems like a high risk of damage from flying it. But a lot of people consider it important to do so. They would say, if you just want a model, then build a model, not a flyable rocket. On the other hand, it’s a lot of meticulous work to put at risk. I think there’s kind of a philosophical aspect to putting a lot of effort into building a nicely finished rocket and then flying it. Something about the ephemeral nature of all things, including art. Nothing is permanent, everything is transitory. It reminds me of the monks who make the huger detailed, beautiful sand mandalas, knowing they will just blow away in the wind. Of course, if you decide not to fly it, there’s nothing wrong with that either! It’s yours. You made it. Do what you want with it. And if you do decide to fly it, take a few really good pictures first.

Last edited:
wow. are those grid fins really going to work??
If it was me I would build a simple cone (or equivalent) with grid fins in order to test and balance it out if needed.
An amazing looking model.

Last edited:
Using those materials and no 3D printing. Hats off to a tenacious build and a great result. That’s scratch built in the true sense of the word. Part of the fun is scrounging around for parts that will do the job. Still amazed at the tapered body sections.

Back