Scale Bash by Peter Alway

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
I realize that this is a kit review forum, but since this pertains to kits in general, I thought this would be the best place to post something like this.
I recently bought a copy of Peter Alway's Scale Bash book from Saturn Press and have been busy gathering the parts to attempt some of the projects he suggests. What Peter has done is make available in book form plans for turning ordinary Estes kits into unique scale creations using the fin patterns and diagrams he provides. Depending on the size of the body tube you plan to use, (BT-5, BT-20, BT-50, BT-55, BT-60 or BT-80) he suggests which Estes kits to buy to obtain the necessary nose cone (and tail cone if applicable.) Pretty cool if you're tired of the standard scale stuff. With each rocket diagrammed in the book, Peter includes the corresponding fin pattern and decal markings necessary to make the rocket in a chosen scale. It isn't possible to build all of the rockets in every tube size, but it's clearly stated which versions are possible for each rocket.
Rockets included in the book are the Pencil, S-520, Project Doorknob, D Region Tomahawk, Sandhawk, the obligatory V-2, Aries, Wasserfall, Raven, Viper, Little John, Javelin III, Hydac, Hyperion, Hawk, Black Brant VB, Arcas, R2, Astrobee D, IQSY Tomahawk, Asp, MX-774, S-310, Black Brant II, Black Brant III, Sirocco, Hawk Motor Test Vehicle, Sonda II and Orion, so as you can see, there are plenty of projects to choose from. I am personally looking forward to trying my hand at building one of the V-2 variants included and am leaning toward the Wasserfall. To date, the only rocket I have attempted is the Hawk Motor Test Vehicle, but I've only had the book since coming back from NARAM 43. (Unfortunately I found out too late that I could have bought the book at NARAM and had it autographed, but I'll live.)
The cost of the book was $10.00 + $1.00 shipping, a bargain when you consider the number of rockets represented and the amount of work that went into the project. If you're looking for something to inspire you for the winter building season, give Scale Bash a try. A wealth of knowledge at a bargain price.:cool:

Back