Sandpaper clogging? Try talc.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Many of the primers and paints I've used will clog sandpaper, even after weeks of drying. Apparently the "paintdust" adheres to itself all too well. Wet sanding is fine on fiberglass or plastic but not so good on cardboard or balsa. I says to myself, "Self, you need a solid lubricant that will keep the particles of dust from adhering to each other." I replied "How about graphite?" Self says "Only if you want to blow black out of your nose for the next three days. Nozzle makers call it 'compressed filth' for a reason. Not to mention that it'll be impossible to remove entirely from the surface."

Then I had an epifony. Apiphany. A great idea. Talc is soft and makes a good skin-on-skin lubricant. And it's even used as a filler in some homemade sanding sealers, so it's not like it can have any serious bad effect. Having just taken delivery of five pounds of real talc powder from US Composites, I girded my loins and sprinkled some on the airframe of my Interceptor E.

Immediate gratification! No gray crap clogging the sandpaper! Lots of dust of course, and it required occasional re-application but each one lasted longer than I expected.

I wonder how it will work on epoxy.

Hope this helps -- Terry

Talc is to soapstone what saw dust is to wood. I looked it up while I was taking an introductory sculpting class (before rediscovering rocketry), and found it to be great stuff, but I don't know if it's perfect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talc.

Back