RRC3 vs EasyMini vs Eggtime Quantum vs StratoLogggerCF

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best is entirely subjective here, depending on if you're going for cost, ease-of-use, features, etc.

In your list I personally only have experience with the RRC3 and Eggtimer Quantum, and you can't really go wrong with either. I fly Quantums more often and love their web-based flight and testing interfaces, but you have to be willing to put them together; I like the simplicity of the RRC3 and its ability to use 9V batteries.

If you've never used any then starting with an Eggtimer Quark (or even Apogee Deployer, if you have a JLCR or willingness to walk) is a great way to experiment.

Are any Stratologgers available to purchase?

The best one is the one you can buy.

I only have experience with the RRC3 and Eggtimer products. That said, I enjoy assembling Eggtimers (I have multiple Quantum's, a Proton, and various other offerings) so that's actually a plus for me. I also find them reliable and generally easy to use. They offer all the features that I feel I currently need. The WiFi arming and web-based interface is genius IMO and I'm able to download flight data easily. Ground testing without the need for exterior wiring is a huge plus.
The RRC3 is also quite reliable, but I don't find it as user friendly as the Eggtimer products. The mDACS software interface is clunky and not very intuitive IMO.

I can't speak to the RRC3 or EasyMini, but if you need it soon, forget the Stratologger. Getting your hands on those requires patience and persistence as only a few are stocked at a time and they are gone within minutes.

The Quantum has the wifi activation, so no switch needed, which is pretty great. The $40 price is also great, but you do need to have some skill with soldering to build it. If I need more altimeters at some point, I'm planning to get more Quantums.

I've standardized on Quantums as my primary altimeter. Reasons why...

1. WiFi switch on board. I still use pull-pin switches in line with the Quantum, but arming away from the pad is a safety feature I want to have.
2. I build a lot of models with the electronics in the nose cone for apogee deploy combined with a Chute Release for easiest recovery. The Quantum allows you to fire the main at apogee and the drogue on a delay, meaning I get redundancy in case of an e-match or channel failure with one altimeter.

I've been flying PerfectFlite since '08 The HiAlt45 is the primary in my L3 cert rocket. I have an 7 or 8 Stratologger CFs, an RRC2 and a couple Eggtimer Quark so I can't speak to the RRC3, Quantum, or EasyMini.

I really like the Perfectflite because it uses 9V batteries, and beeps out the battery voltage as part of startup. I've had av-bays I didn't have to open for 3 years and 20+ flights. I do want to know when the battery is dropping below 9.0V. I only download data for specific reasons, not to analyze every flight and feel every time you open an av-bay, you risk breaking or weakening wire connections when you move and wiggle them all around. I just feel a fight proven av-bay and battery is much lower risk than recharging, rewiring, and handling everything between every flight. I don't like WiFi because I have to open the bay and recharge batteries between every flight. It's been seldom, but I have flown my DD rockets twice in a day. Not really possible if I have to spend all that time charging, etc. Turns out with RSO, LCO, etc. I don't get many flights in each day, but 2-5 is usually the goal and spending all day prepping electronics is not something I want to do.

So that all gets back to what @Hobie1dog said, it's "totally subjective".

You have to decide what you want in how your rockets work, on field and home prep time requirements, altimeter features, how you judge fight risks, how you fly, and what you want from the hobby. It comes down to a lot more than just altimeter features.

So most recommendations here are going to be based on how that flier preps, flies, and what the want from the hobby. So take all recommendations with a grain of salt.

Back