RRC2+ above 40,000ft MSL?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkyVT

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The manual says the recommended operational range of the RRC2+ is 40,000ft MSL, but it is 100,000ft capable. We are planning to fly to about 43,000ft MSL.

Can anyone confirm that the RRC2+ will still operate apogee ejection charges above 40,000ft MSL? Or is it like the old MAWD that fired apogee charges as soon as it hit its max of 24,000ft? I think I recall somebody saying that about the MAWD, but I could be wrong.

The 40,000 ft. condition for the RRC2+ is because of the brownout capacitor.

It's an electrolytic type capacitor, so once it reaches that high an altitude the electrolytics
can boil off and the capacitor will no longer function as your brownout backup for power.

That doesn't mean the unit will no longer function. Everything else will still work over
40,000 ft. - you just risk not having the brownout capability.

Missile Works used to make an "Extreme" unit that had a different type of capacitor that
was rated for 100,000 ft.

Send an email to Missile Works for confirmation. They are usually quick on a reply.

The 40,000 ft. condition for the RRC2+ is because of the brownout capacitor.

It's an electrolytic type capacitor, so once it reaches that high an altitude the electrolytics
can boil off and the capacitor will no longer function as your brownout backup for power.

That doesn't mean the unit will no longer function. Everything else will still work over
40,000 ft. - you just risk not having the brownout capability.

Missile Works used to make an "Extreme" unit that had a different type of capacitor that
was rated for 100,000 ft.

Send an email to Missile Works for confirmation. They are usually quick on a reply.

Thanks. I sent them an email but haven't heard back yet. I'm using low-current e-matches so hopefully brownout won't be an issue.

Thanks. I sent them an email but haven't heard back yet. I'm using low-current e-matches so hopefully brownout won't be an issue.

I dropped an email to Missile Works too. They replied that they have chamber tested the electrolytic
capacitors to as high as 120K and the capacitors were still OK. This is why they no longer produce the
Extreme version. The 40,000 ft. limit was considered a "cautious ceiling" at the time for this type
of capacitor.

Latest posts

Back