RockSim Issue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone use RockSim 9 and try and add fins to a BT-5?
I'm downscaling a Wizard, Estes 1292 to Mini Brute Scale.
RockSim will not allow me to use the Fin Buttons for some Reason.
With Nose Cone, Body Tube, Engine Block and Engine it is almost -12 stability.
I'm thinking too much negetive stability and it locks up or something.
Any suggestions?

You do have the body tube hightlighted in the components section of rocket design components tab?

Yes. I tried everything I know of, even went to Apogee and reviewed several tutorial videos thinking I may pick up on something that I may have missed.
It's got me flustered.
It's not that big of deal. I can do the calcs and downsize the fins and make a template that way. Easier to just print, trace to card stock then to balsa.
But I would also like to see stability because the stability doesn't look just right. And run a few sims to see what actually takes place.
I should have put that in my first post because I knew that would come up, haha. Sorry.

I use rocsim 9 and just tried to add fins to a quick 3fnc based on a bt-5 all parts pulled from the parts directory. Seemed to work fine for me. I tried to get a file for the wizzard from emmr but it may be down so i took a file for the alpha and scaled it down using the scale feature and did about .55 scale to get close to a bt-5 tube diameter . both methods seemed to give good results. I am not sure what it could be but i'd be happy to help

-Z

Scale factor from 20 to 5 is .73913043478
Started with a bt-5 nose cone, then added the body tube 6.4375 long.
All the fin buttons stayed grayed for me.
I'd like to reboot my system, but I got something going right now I can't back out of or I'll loose it for a friend. He was suppose to be here tonight and never showed. I'll try restarting RS see if that helps.

.74 or .73913043478 tomato tomaato I hope the reboot works .

-Z

Well, my bud lost out.
He's a truck driver and avid sportsman.
He wanted me to look something up for him, took me most the afternoon.
I rebooted and lost it. His loss.
Still, anything with smaller than BT-20 the fins buttons are still shadowed.
I will have to Email Tim at Apogee on Monday.
I have enough projects going I really don't need to start another one to sit on the bench waiting for parts I don't have anyways.
I'll download your file and see if I can print the fin pattern and run some sims.
Thanks a bunch for your help! It was very kind of you to take your time for me.

This last file worked you posted.
Started another file from scratch, and it works.
Very Wierd.
Though, when I added the body tube to the first file, it didn't line up right with the nose cone. I think there was a glitch somewheres. I should have rebooted then and not wasted everyones time. Sorry.
Least, I can move forward.
:pc:

AH-HAA
I know what the problem was now.
The one thing I left open was an auction, not ebay (remember my buds an avid sportsman and is only home for 2 days a week as he's a truck driver) and the item sold. Stupid IE froze the link because of inactivness or something to that nature, and thats what was causing problems with my probrams.
He should have stopped. He can buy this item for 800 used, seller says paid 1200 new. I found one NIB for 550, no bids. No offers. HE LOOSES
Anyways, did the attachment work? It doesn't look like any other so I'm assuming I did it wrong?
Little bugger on A3T & A10T goes between 750 and 850 feet!
That IS going to be very hard to see, but is going to be really cool along side all the other sizes there is going to be.

Just looked at the file you posted. Everything seems to work fine for me. Interested to find out what caused your problem if you figure it out.

Always happy to help.

-Z

it works. And i also put an a-10 in it that thing will scream :) Pulling an all nighter?

Back