Rocket holder for a bike?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay I've been thinking of getting an off-road capable E-bike. Sometimes where I fly (Lucerne) recovery is almost too far to walk, but not quite far enough to take the truck out (especially when I have it full of gear I'd rather not have bouncing around). Has anyone come up with a way to cary a large rocket on a bicycle? One-handed under the arm ain't gonna cut it. I was thinking maybe a surfboard holder like this? https://epicsurfracks.com/products/...ortboard-longboard-sup?variant=41158972604621

I've been thinking about how to set up a bike for rocket recovery for a bit.

I'm not sure how well a surfboard rack would work, I can easily imagine that you could have a rocket too short to be held by the rack, but too large to easily carry. I also don't know how well it would work with larger diameter rockets.

One idea that I had is to mount a short section of launch rail vertically onto the cargo rack, it could carry most things that I fly, although it would probably get very awkward for larger rockets.

how about a 3-ft long piece of 6 in ID PVC pipe(with a cap on the bottom) that you could mount vertically so that the bottom would be close to the rear axle with a bracket, and the top would be held to a small luggage rack..... that way you could haul the rocket vertically and it wouldn't be in your way running from front to back of the bicycle.

Okay I've been thinking of getting an off-road capable E-bike. Sometimes where I fly (Lucerne) recovery is almost too far to walk, but not quite far enough to take the truck out (especially when I have it full of gear I'd rather not have bouncing around). Has anyone come up with a way to cary a large rocket on a bicycle? One-handed under the arm ain't gonna cut it. I was thinking maybe a surfboard holder like this? https://epicsurfracks.com/products/...ortboard-longboard-sup?variant=41158972604621
Why not one of those baby carrier things that you can tow from the rear wheel?

EE550498-FE12-4C10-B6DF-051000C6A370.jpeg

A few bungee cables and careful balancing should get you in business. Better test it out with a dummy payload though, one with less sweat put into it than a very large rocket.

The simplest approach might be just a standard rear rack with a PVC tube mounted - aimed straight back. Tube length and diameter would depend on your model (nose end) dimensions. Fins out the back and then bungee around the aft end of the model. If truly offroad (and bumpy), you are going to have to be careful about soft packing around where BT and (especially) fins come in contact with any tube/rack. Any kind of trailer will bounce like crazy offroad. I carry things like skis on bikes and the main thing is keeping them out of your pedal motion. The linked surfboard rack goes way off to the side to stay clear of pedals and front wheel steering - this may be much more of a rack than is needed unless you are into quite large high power models. They do make racks to transport a fishing pole vertically (off the rear axle), and something like that could be easily adapted to hold a larger diameter vertical PVC pipe.

Rod holder

Last edited:
Not my bike, but a fellow Vegas lub member.

They made a plastic tube (with foam covered wye, that's where the rocket is positioned) setup that fit in the basket.

You can see, have to look close.

Wish I could think of the owners name, I'm just to old. :)

Roy

Attachments

• DSC_0941.JPG
    DSC_0941.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
Do you have any pics of the type of ebike you're considering? Some include rear racks and some even have front baskets, which makes things a lot simpler. My family currently owns a few types of ebikes.

This is how I do it. Fits a 4" X 72" rocket or anything smaller so far. Larger will probably be fine. I use little bungees around the body tube to hold it. It's mostly a repurposed set of bicycle aero bars that didn't cost me anything. I just have to be careful in between pop-ups and parked cars.

IMG_1826.JPG

Folding bike and bungee cord it on the rear rack.
(Might want to cushion it with some foam).
0214231339a[1].jpg
For faster recovery, add a rocket engine (opt: twin panniers).

Last edited:
Ive been looking for same solution. I was trying to come up with a way to use this:

Bike Cargo Trailer, Foldable Frame 88 lbs Max Load, 16'' Quick-Release Wheel, Not for Kids or Animals​

1676423973633.png

Not my bike, but a fellow Vegas lub member.

They made a plastic tube (with foam covered wye, that's where the rocket is positioned) setup that fit in the basket.

You can see, have to look close.

Wish I could think of the owners name, I'm just to old. :)

Roy
I don't remember seeing that bike. I just take my car if it's on the edge of the lake bed. Thought about a bike though.

I've seen a dirt bike with two sets of V's in front of the handlebars. Pop the nose back in the avbay, aim the pointy half between the finny half, bungee and foam as required.

The only way to go is side rocket pods! Something like this...
View attachment 563224
That's how I carried missiles when I was in the service. These will hold 4 - 2.75" rocket pods capable of carrying 19 rockets each. But op for the Hellfire or TOW missile racks 4 each carrying 4 missile each. I use to fly these "Bad Boy" AH-1 Cobras when I was in the service. Hooah!!

Back