Rocket Foamie: SkyFun

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm basically lazy. I like to reuse exiting engineering instead of coming up with my own.

This is an R/C glider conversion. The original airframe is from here: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9614__SkyFun_Jet_w_Brushless_Motor_Plug_Fly.html . The modification is reverseable--I can change between electric and rocket motor mount in the field. Being able to fly the model on electric power before launching it on a rocket gives me confidence in the model's trim.

Initial flights are on SU Aerotech E15-PW. Subsequent modifications allow the use of 32mm RMS case, and the model flies on F16 and G12 reloads.

My intention is to ultimately fly this model on an I49N for my L1 cert.

Ari.

Hi Ari:
You mentioned the Hobby King SkyFun in another thread. Would you be willing to publish "final plans" for the motor mount(s) (you mention using 29 and 32mm motors, I believe) to "wrap up" this thread, please?
Best wishes,
Will

I'm glad to see my glider generating interest. I would recommend starting with the 24mm mount. I have no plans per se for either, but the 24mm is more perfect. The 32mm may be more complex than it needs to be. This is my first time building or flying an F motor, and I remember thinking that they are very big things, and probably need a lot of structure to support their unbelievable thrust :=)

Now this thread has two very different gliders--the original SkyFun with 24 and later 32mm mounts, and the "mk4" which is just the wings from a SkyFun and a 29mm body tube. I'm much happier with the original SkyFun, on any motor, than with the smaller one. The smaller one is too fast and too maneuverable for me.

I doubt I'm going to put in the work to produce plans for either one, but if you have any questions, I'm happy answer them.

Ari.

Back