RIP Mike Gentile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cls

Reaction score
just got word, Mike Gentile passed yesterday. He had several ailments in recent years, but he's at peace now.

Mike started Bay Area Rocketry after he retired from a successful career in construction management. BAR serviced many west coast launches. so, many people knew him and did business with him.

my sincerest consolations to Linda and their children.

Recently in storage I found an unbuilt BAR ONE kit, with the green fiberglass tubes.

RIP.

Post photos. That is arare one for sure.
Oh, sure thing. I'll dig out my built one, too. Might be a week or so to get down there.

I never bought any of Mike's Crayon bank rockets, because I was tooled up and had rings etc cut the way I like (1/8", lighter than 3/16"), and we already had a dozen or so different Crayons. But he sold plenty of them, they were fun. A lot of people got L1s with those gateway drugs rockets.

Mike will be missed. He put a lot of time and energy and passion into rocketry. Before his health issues he waged a heroic fight to earn a living in rocketry, and it wasn't easy or always as successful as he could have hoped but he kept going. He was fun, and opinionated, and even those he might not have always agreed with should tip their hat to him as someone who contributed to supporting model rocketry here on the west coast. Godspeed.

In my few interactions with Mike he always impressed me as a really nice guy.

Being an east coast flyer the only time I bought anything from Mike was at Balls, and I am glad he was there with his huge trailer and roll-out rack. A few years back a 98mm EX-motor configuration I had put together using a 2 grain Aerotech casing over-pressurized on ignition (my bad, not A/Ts) and it blew the aft closure into the launcher steel base plate, turning it into an egg shape. I still had another certified Aerotech 98mm M to fly in a minimum diameter carbon fiber rocket, but now no aft closure so I took the bent one and went over to see Mike in the hopes he had some 98mm closures. Much to my relief he did, and on seeing the bent one said he was sorry for what had happened and that he would sell me a new closure and take some off the price. That was very nice of him, I said it wasn't necessary but he discounted it anyway to a level that was probably close to what he paid for it. Earlier this year I chatted with him on the phone about ordering a motor for delivery at Balls and we had a nice conversation.

No doubt west coast fliers are going to miss him not only as supporter of the hobby but personally as well. RIP Mike.

Back