Revell Redstone - Good PMC?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Seeing Micro and gang having fun doing their PMC on the BIG F104, got me thinking..I had gotten an old Revell plastic model of a Redstone missile, and got to wondering if it would be a good PMC candidate..Not for competition, just for the heck of it..Here are a couple of pics..One of the box and one of the parts..

Redstone001.jpg

Redstone002.jpg

At first I was thinking MMX size...But took the main body pieces out and a 13mm will just BARELY fit in there, tho that wont leave any room to protect the plastic from the heat of the motor..Or is that really not an issue? Will see...Will a little bit before I can start work on it as I am building and Outlander right now-painting as I go too! :) Looking for some opinions, advice..To make my go/no-go decision on making this a PMC..

I once considered a SatV PMC conversion, but I put it in the "round tuit" category. Anyways, I figured I would line the inside of the plastic with a traditional body tube specifically to insulate the inside of the plastic from getting a direct fireball ejection charge. I don't know if this would have helped much, but I figured it'd at least keep the plastic a little cooler or at least spared it from direct contact from a hot ejection charge.

Seeing Micro and gang having fun doing their PMC on the BIG F104, got me thinking..I had gotten an old Revell plastic model of a Redstone missile, and got to wondering if it would be a good PMC candidate..Not for competition, just for the heck of it..Here are a couple of pics..One of the box and one of the parts..

Redstone001.jpg

Redstone002.jpg

At first I was thinking MMX size...But took the main body pieces out and a 13mm will just BARELY fit in there, tho that wont leave any room to protect the plastic from the heat of the motor..Or is that really not an issue? Will see...Will a little bit before I can start work on it as I am building and Outlander right now-painting as I go too! :) Looking for some opinions, advice..To make my go/no-go decision on making this a PMC..

Both the Redstone and 1:110th scale Mercury-Atlas make EXCELLENT PMC projects Pantherjon:
both do very well on 13mm A3 and A10 motors;) My only warning is to watch the CA or Epoxy when installing nose weight as I melted the Styrene nose on my 1st redstone.
I left it as a reminder for later projects don't use to much CA on styrene!!!!

180-sm_Army-Redstone PMC_110th.jpg

181-b-sm_Mercury-Atlas PMC w Launcher & 180 Redston_11-95.jpg

I once considered a SatV PMC conversion, but I put it in the "round tuit" category. Anyways, I figured I would line the inside of the plastic with a traditional body tube specifically to insulate the inside of the plastic from getting a direct fireball ejection charge. I don't know if this would have helped much, but I figured it'd at least keep the plastic a little cooler or at least spared it from direct contact from a hot ejection charge.

Ya really should go ahead with your project Eugene, Just about any of the Plastic Saturn-V models I've seen are all GREAT for conversions in single motor or 5 motor clusters:) the 1/144th Saturns Just Beg for clusters of 3 D's or 5 C6's and fly very well with just a few alterations and some Clear .063" lexan fins. go for it, it's a very good build.

Your absolutely correct for most PMC's eugene:
Generally a standard body tube is fitting inside whatever model your converting. sometimes several tubes, and or clusters.

It is possible to use the model tube itself if it's on the thick side. I'm working on a Patriot battery of 4 trailer mounted and launched for the box, where the model bodies are the styrene model body drilled out to fit the micromaxx motors. Where wasn't enough plastic to allow inserting a tube. The prototype has flown about 6 times now without deforming the styrene much. Getting the darn thing stable without adding more fin area has been the bigger problem on that one LOL....Weeee! WEEEE! Loop te lou!!!

xxxb1-sm_MM Patriot PMC_2nd flight_07-05-03.jpg

Both the Redstone and 1:110th scale Mercury-Atlas make EXCELLENT PMC projects Pantherjon:
both do very well on 13mm A3 and A10 motors;) My only warning is to watch the CA or Epoxy when installing nose weight as I melted the Styrene nose on my 1st redstone.
I left it as a reminder for later projects don't use to much CA on styrene!!!!

That's great to know! Looks like you used the same kit I have for your Redstone, with the 'checkerboard' base..Will be an interesting build once I get 'a round tuit'!:rotflol:..Oh wait, I DO have a 'round tuit'...hmmmm..Well, once I get tuit! :D

How much nose weight did you use Micro?

That's great to know! Looks like you used the same kit I have for your Redstone, with the 'checkerboard' base..Will be an interesting build once I get 'a round tuit'!:rotflol:..Oh wait, I DO have a 'round tuit'...hmmmm..Well, once I get tuit! :D

How much nose weight did you use Micro?

I'll have to look the nose weight up John I'll let you know later this evening or tomorrow.
I've been threatening to make up a batch of Wooden hand painted tuits to give out but so far I've only done this paper one...A 1" dowel with branded letters would be neat "pocket tuit".
People look at ya funny when ya hand them one!!!:rotflol:

View attachment Round Tuit_07-12-07.pdf

Revell's V2 works well too. When I was a kid I put a C6-7 in one- never saw it again.

Revell's V2 works well too. When I was a kid I put a C6-7 in one- never saw it again.

There are several different scale V2 (A4's) out there at the moment including the A4b winged and A9 piloted All these in 1/72nd, I liked the Revell History maker 1/54th scale with trailer.

Pantherjon before I forget; 6.4g of B.B's nose weight in the 1:110th Redstone.

V2-sm_Revell HistoryMakers 0560 54th(96dpi)_95.jpg

Back