Rebel Moon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, just finished watching this today. Well, it kept my attention. i thought it was OK. Not spectacular, but not horrible. I was entertained for the most part, which was the main goal.
Thoughts?

I’m planning to watch it. I’ve seen mixed reviews and some references to Snyder Cut Star Wars. 🤣 But I’m still interested. I think he has a kind of polarizing style, but I’ve liked a few of his movies, so I think I’ll probably like this one. I’ll report back later.

BTW it's on Netflix.
Part 2 is set to air in April 2024.
The main character Kora is played by Sofia Boutella, who played Jaylah in Star Trek Beyond.
Remember her?
1703425125357.png

I watched it tonight and enjoyed it but it is almost totally derivative. Take a load of Star Wars and throw in some Star Trek and Battlestar and it is pretty much that. They even had a light saber and the recuperation tank with a scene similar to the Darth Vader burning scene and the Luke in the recovery tank. So fun but nothing new or particularly original about it.

Liked it. As others have noted it's not particularly original but it is entertaining. The fight scenes were fun enough and the pacing was decent. Could do a lot worse for a couple of hours investment.

I watched it tonight and enjoyed it but it is almost totally derivative. Take a load of Star Wars and throw in some Star Trek and Battlestar and it is pretty much that. They even had a light saber and the recuperation tank with a scene similar to the Darth Vader burning scene and the Luke in the recovery tank. So fun but nothing new or particularly original about it.
It was originally pitched to be a Star Wars film, but agreements with LucasFilm failed.

My wife and I watched it last night. We both liked it.

We both liked 300, which was directed by Snyder, and he used some of the same directing techniques in Rebel Moon. Some of the fight scenes were a lot like the Matrix (Same for 300). Part One is definitely a Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven type story. And some scenes and visual aesthetic felt like references to other movies — Star Wars cantina scene, Lord of the Rings (the village on Veldt reminded me of the Shire, and one unnamed character reminded me of an orc, and the “cantina“ scene also reminded me of the Inn at Bree), Gladiator (the colosseum on one planet they visited, and the character they met there was played by an actor from Gladiator). There were a lot of moments like that, but it doesn’t bother me. I liked all those movies, and the way those things were incorporated into this movie made it feel fresh enough.

The one thing I would say is that it doesn’t leave you feeling like the story has advanced very far. Most of the time is spent on “world building”, introducing characters, and filling in backstory. I’m looking forward to Part Two maybe moving things along a bit faster.

I also felt the trailer has been misleading.

I am a Star Wars fan and can see the similarities, RM is definitely more violent.

I was not surprised by the lead characters past, just surprised on how She was living on the farming moon prior to the arrival.

I have about 40min left to watch.

Was there a book by that name?
I wondered the same thing when I saw the title, but after checking I realized I was thinking of "The Rebel Worlds" by Poul Anderson (1969).

I watched the movie last night and I pretty much agree with a lot of the comments thus far. Combine Star Wars with The Seven Samurai, throw in a dash of flying from Avatar, and there you have it.

I wondered the same thing when I saw the title, but after checking I realized I was thinking of "The Rebel Worlds" by Poul Anderson (1969).

I watched the movie last night and I pretty much agree with a lot of the comments thus far. Combine Star Wars with The Seven Samurai, throw in a dash of flying from Avatar, and there you have it.
And the Moon was a spaceship.

David Icke material there, who thinks the Moon is hollow and controlled by the rings of Saturn
In the book I read the ship was parked where it is. The crew went down to Earth and lived there until they died. The ship was run by an AI. An Astronaut was orbiting the Moon by himself. His ship was sucked into the Moon by the AI because he was a descendent of the original Capitan. And to activate the ship again it could only be done by a descendent of that Capitan. And the adventure began after that.

Back