Rcs rocket motor components questions.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxckitralph

Reaction score
Are the fiberglass casings similar to aluminum (safety wise). Also it says boths ends of the casing are grooved for bonding. Does this mean threaded? Im a little confused on their products in general.

The fiberglass casings are for making single use (DMS) motors. Grooved might be threads or a very rough turn. Single use motors use bonded in closures.
Here's some long 18 mm single use motors that I make (F size). I rough up the inside of the casing with a course sanding drum where the nozzle and forward bulkhead go.
18mm motor 06.jpg

Ive also been looking into the fisher research aluminum casings
If you're wanting to use certified reloads there are three current manufacturers of reloadable hardware: Aerotech, CTI, and Loki.
Of those three, Loki hardware is most likely to be used for research motors (non-certified motors made by a person for their own personal use).
By all accounts Mike Fisher makes great hardware. They work like the Loki hardware, but they are not part of any certified motor system. That means they couldn't be used at a NAR launch for instance.

As others have already told you the fiberglass casings on the RCS site are for people to make single use research motors. The grooves cut into the ends of the casing are so closures may be epoxied in.

Ahhhhh okay i see, thats where i was lost. So no casings on that site are resusable?
Correct, for the most part. Re-use depends on the temperature reached by the casing material---and also on how much you care about a CATO. The epoxy that bonds fiberglass/carbon fiber has rather poor temperature resistance compared to most metals. Even high-temperature epoxies can decrease appreciably in strength at casing temperatures.

A fiberglass case may look fine after firing, sawing off an end, and pulling out the burnt liner. I wouldn't do it, though.

Reloadable aluminum cases can be used dozens or maybe hundreds of times, as long as they aren't overstressed at a hot spot where the liner split, or similar.

Latest posts

Back