Range box contents

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodRocket

Reaction score
Starting to get range gear rounded up for the big Airfest end of the month.

What are those good items to have and those must haves that you always use?

I know I will need various motors, fin repair supplies, extra shock cord materials, etc.

Also getting into the rebuildable motors, what kind of grease to get/use when assembling? Case cleaning supplies after recovery?

Will try and work up a couple pvc racks to hold rockets.

There will be several vendors there and I know I can get some of the needed motors, rebuild kits and igniters at the event. May even pick up another case since I want to expand my mid power fleet.

Thanks in advance.

Rod

I use Super Tech multi duty high temp grease and to clean the very first thing I do is spray stuff with windex. Corrosion from the black powder will start immediately even if not seen and windex (ammonia) stops this reaction. I do the same with my older rifles that shoot corrosive ammunition. After that I either just wipe down with a baby wipe or soak in dish detergent. If I don't wipe down immediately then into a rubbermade with detergent she goes.

On supplies, I bring extra of everything. Extra screws, bolts, pins, wire... Also a good table and ez up. Super glue, some 5 minute epoxy, mixing sticks, a good knife, extra screw drivers, pliers, cutters, crimpers, zip ties, tape...lots of tape, paper towels and/or rags, extra batteries, loctite, water, water, water, laptop, checklists for my rockets, pens, poop tickets just in case. I have a checklist here of all items, and an inventory list for each box. I even have a checklist for my checklist with a timeline of things to do. I will still forget something.

Toilet paper

Estes recovery wadding.

I use dog barf and have a pack of Estes in case I forget it or there is no porta potty.

Masking tape, wire cutter / stripper for ignitor leads, hobby knife, sandpaper for clips. small screwdrivers for electronics bays / switches, pliers if you friction fit. Any tools / screws / bolts used for motor retention. Motor mount adaptors.

Trash bag.

Estes recovery wadding.

I use dog barf and have a pack of Estes in case I forget it or there is no porta potty.

Masking tape, wire cutter / stripper for ignitor leads, hobby knife, sandpaper for clips. small screwdrivers for electronics bays / switches, pliers if you friction fit. Any tools / screws / bolts used for motor retention. Motor mount adaptors.

Trash bag.

No, I mean for pooping...

Estes wadding is good for both.

TP isn't good wadding without flame proofing it.

Yeah... That Estes wadding is a bit too thin and delicate for my hairy butt. I'm afraid that most of it would go to cleaning out from under my finger nails afterwards.

Yeah... That Estes wadding is a bit too thin and delicate for my hairy butt. I'm afraid that most of it would go to cleaning out from under my finger nails afterwards.

Good to know. I always assumed it would work. At least it would be better than wiping with dog barf.

Baby wipes
Dog barf
Extra rocket lighters
Small set of tools, screwdrivers, etc.
Recovery swivels and links
Pen and paper for recording pre-flight weight, reload, parachute, etc.

From QQuake2k I have learned the value of keeping Thrustcurve motor guides for each of my rockets printed out in a binder. Sometimes, reloads become available that you've never planned for and these guides are helpful as a go/no go or delay timing reference.

Just think things out and have backups for things that could fail or get lost. Have backups for your backups. Make it all up in packets or kits. When I do a final inventory of something I will be bringing with me I put a piece of tape over the latch or lid to make a seal and date it so I know it is complete. I also seal things shut with zip ties that can be after my final inventory.

As mentioned before...sunscreen, Chapstick, anti monkey butt powder, any meds you may take, sunglasses. These are all on my list as well. We all forget things, but luckily rocket folks are all awesome and willing to help out. Everyone wants to see your rocket fly. The more the better so don't be afraid to ask if you need it.

I bring a power inverter, chargers, my Rockwell cordless drill and impact driver, dremel, bits... I'm a retired Infantry NCO so I may kinda take my packing lists and inventories a bit far but I don't like being stuck out in the boonies without something I need.

Here is the beginning of my pile.
93bbce84.jpg

Here are some of the things that I keep in the range box:

LPR and MPR motors
Igniters - Estes, Q2G2, Copperheads and some hand-rolled ones for when the copperheads don't go.
Wadding (estes and "blown insulation")
Zip ties in a number of sizes
Needle nose and adjustable pliers
Delay Drilling tool
Hobby Knife
Swiss Army Knife
Cheap School scissors
Blue masking tape
Moleskine book and pen to keep track of what i have launched and any notes and reminders for the next launch
10 bucks in case i forget launch fees and/or need a beverage
Small screwdriver set
Wire
A few estes parachutes and some boing cords as temp replacements
CA Glue

I have a separate box for my HP cases and motors and that just has the tubes, motors, delay tools and adapters along with rocksim printouts of the rockets and flights I'm planning on.

I am sure there is other stuff in there but that is what comes to mind.

Back