Rail Buttons

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Austin

I just wanted to say a word about www.railbuttons.com . I just bought a bunch, at a VERY reasonable price and will be using the large ones for my Level 3. I would swear these are from another mfgr, who's name will remain anonomous, but these are a heck of a lot cheaper in price. Great quality and fast shipping; I will buy from Matt again. The white ones will be perfect for my 4" Scratch Maverick AGM-65.
I only had one question for Matt, will the large ones fit Blacksky's "Ultimate" rail???

Carl

I concur. Excellent buttons at an excellent price. I ordered a bunch of each of his colors and they came quickly and packaged nicely. Way to go Matt!

Hey Carl, would you use the smaller ones on your level 3? You know I'm making the elDiablo and I'm debating whether to order the bigger buttons. What would you suggest?

* shameless disclaimer: I don't know Matt personally and so this is not an add. :)

Phil,
If you do order the bigger buttons, make sure that you have a compatible rail available. If you're planning on flying it at Whitakers, I've only ever seen one rail set up there. Chances are pretty good that they're using the standard size rail and not the "extreme" rail.

They are using the Black Sky rail at whitakers... not the Extreme rail.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the larger buttons are used on the "Extreme" rail and won't fit on the standard size rail.

Matt's larger buttons absolutely will NOT fit in a standard BlackSky rail. They were designed for 1 1/2 inch extrusions, which may or may not be compatible with the larger BlackSky rails.

You can compare dimensions of the rails mentioned by visiting the site at Black Sky Research and the vendor of the extrusions used by Extreme Rail which (I believe) is www.8020.net

Hi guys... I've been away from the Forum for awhile so I didn't catch this thread until now.

First off, I really appreciate the kind words, and it makes this project all the more worth it.

As for compatibility, the only compatible rails that I know of for sure are listed in my FAQ. I hate to speculate about rails not listed such as BSR's Ulimate rail and the Unistrut extrusions (although I'm pretty sure they're not compatible). I did recently receive word that the "Xtreme" rail might be compatible with my larger buttons... I'm waiting on photos to be sure. (Not to be confused with Giant Leap's "Extreme" rail, which is compatible with the smaller buttons.)

As for which button to use for your L3... the deciding factor shouldn't be the button, but the size of the rail required to support the rocket. If the BSR HPR rail or 80/20's 1010 rail is strong enough to support your rocket, then the smaller delrin buttons will work just fine (my nylon buttons have even been used for L3, but I don't recommend it). Otherwise, you'll have to choose your larger rail based on what's available or what you're willing to purchase yourself. I'm pushing the 80/20 1515 rail, but there's also the BSR Ultimate rail, Unistrut extrusions, Xtreme rail, and various other home-grown club-specific rails.

Back