Rail Button Adhesive...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
I want to know if JB Weld would be better than epoxy for attaching rail buttons.

If you're talking about the buttons from www.railbuttons.com , then I would just use the screw. It holds it in there tight and you can remove it if needed. For minimum diameter rockets, or close to minimum diameter, I still use the screw but grind off the exposed part of the screw on the inside of the rocket. I've never had one rip off.

I use CA. Not necessarily to hold the screw, but to strengthen & harden the BT hole

Seems like I misread the original question... I get it now! Yes, CA will be fine as Brianc mentioned

What I meant is which is better to hold the button to the BT, epoxy or JB Weld? I'll probably use CA anyway to strengthen the hold after it's drilled, but want to know which of those adhesives are the better chioce for securing it to the body. Also, I got my buttons from LOC's website and they included 2 - #10-24 screw.

The best way is to use the screw and screw it into a centering ring (or other backing). They send you the screw for a reason.

Otherwise you will be picking them up off the ground or replacing missing buttons a lot.

I have never tried to secure them with adhesive alone. I'd doubt that it would hold longterm.

Originally posted by bigone5500
I want to know if JB Weld would be better than epoxy for attaching rail buttons.

After the hole is drilled and the screw is ready to be mounted
through the hole I have used 5 min expoxy or JB Weld. JB is
what I use most of the time but I either have the screw bolted
on the inside or screwed into a centering ring or sometimes into
a threaded insert. Never just put a rail button on the outside by
itself. I generally don't allow the cemet to make contact with the
button anyway. I use a washer between the button and BT. I
put the JB on the washer and screw but not the button. I actually
want the button a little free. If it is too tight it might jamm on the
rail or get worn on one side or another.

Now still after all that I have still had some come off. I was flying
a large 8 inch rocket on a homemade L motor. The rocket arced a
little in flight but seemed ok. Both railbuttons came off on the rail.
I had bolted the rail buttons to a stand off and bolted & JB'ed
that to the tube. The rocket never left the rail properly hence it's
slight arc because they came off. When I fixed it I put one bolt
through instead of two small ones and used fender washers
inside the BT all held with JB. I needed a stand off because the
NC is a larger dia. I have yet to fly this one again and will call
heads up when I do just in case. With this rocket the foward
centering ring was just too small to screw into and the rear one
was not easily findable, it was someone else's rocket build that I
converted.

William

let me tell you. Screw them in at all costs! A kid I saw at an MDRA launch (Red Glare) launched a 10" Polecat Nike Smoke on an L952. He got it driven out to the pad. He slid it onto the pad. As soon as the pad reached 90degrees it jerked a bit. There came the nike falling right onto his dad. He was ok but a litte upset at his son ;) So please, PLEASE screw them on!

thanx, Ben

I figure that I'll use the CR's to help secure the buttons. I will have a total fo 4 CR's in this build and plenty of options for placement.

So now a new question has risen...should I use loctite or any such threadlocker to secure the threads of the screw to the CR or use CA or epoxy? I am also figuring that I will need to make the wood of the CR stronger by using thin CA...but that would seem to answer my question...or does it?

I figure that I'll use the CR's to help secure the buttons. I will have a total fo 4 CR's in this build and plenty of options for placement.

So now a new question has risen...should I use loctite or any such threadlocker to secure the threads of the screw to the CR or use CA or epoxy? I am also figuring that I will need to make the wood of the CR stronger by using thin CA...but that would seem to answer my question...or does it?

I like to build up the area about 1/2 to 3/4 wide where you going to put the screw into the air frame. I then dirll a hole into the wood for a brass screw set, glue it in. I then use a neoprene washer and screw the button in the brass insert. I havent had a problem and then if the button gets worn I can just unscrew and put a new button on.

Mark

Would it be a good idea to get a bit longer screws to secure the buttons to the rocket? Like 1/8" longer?

Would it be a good idea to get a bit longer screws to secure the buttons to the rocket? Like 1/8" longer?

I guess I'm not sure what you are asking. What else would you secure it too? The bolt that come with the button should be long enough. If you are securing them to c/r's you can switch out the stock bolt for a lag screw. Various applications exist for various conditions. I have used evrything from just the stock screw into a hole in the BT with a drop of CA to a bolt with a body washer and nut on the inside.

The reason I am thinking of a longer screw is so it would go into the ring a bit farther. Just to make for a stronger joint.

Back