R/C conversion of the 2.6" Estes V2 into a semi scale manned A4b

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planning on an upcoming test flight of a normal RC model that has a Spektrum SAFE type RX installed with custom values for SAFE, set to about a max allowable 15 degree bank and 5-10 degree pitch. The thought would be to have the ability to turn on SAFE if needed to limit pitch and bank if the model is hard to see at altitude after apogee. You could input a turn that would be limited by the SAFE RX and let the model spiral down a little. Once clearly in sight, turn off SAFE

The TX would be set up with a switch that activates SAFE on and off as needed. It would HAVE to be off for boost!
Have you tried this yet? I put an AR630 (with internal antenna) into my Star Clipper, and it works great. SAFE comes in handy, even at lower altitudes, because it can be difficult to see the pitch attitude when the rocket is directly above. The gyro also provides a nice straight boost up to apogee.

To make sure there is enough voltage to drive the servos fast enough for the gyro, I use a 2S battery.

Last edited:
I have not tried the new versions, yet. The old one flew before, and, of course, Tom, who started this thread has flown his. I am using the Spektrum AR400 rcx and as I recall HiTec HS-55 servo's with a tiny Eflite 1S 3.7 volt (150 mAh and 25C) battery.

OK, I see that I answered out of turn. Your question is addressed to Tom (tab28682).

Back