PVC motor retainers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estesbasher

Reaction score
I've been coming in for quite awhile and learning a few things from you guys. And I just thought I'd try and add a little some thing to what you all have done. I've taken quite a bit of knowledge from And I'd like to thank you guys for it. This is what I came up with for my Bt-55 Rockets I fly on 29mm mounts. I just got sick of loosing cases and slim line retainers. So from now on they just fly on G-80's I'll try and make it fast but I've got a few pictures and I'll explain with each picture whats being done.
I went over to home depot and found these that work on the top of the motor case.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us Female coupler.

Then I take the part where the PVC pipe fits in and cut it off with my dremal tool and sand the out siide down so the JB- quick weld sticks to it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So I just cut a short piece of 29mm tube to install the coupler on top of the motor with the weld. When you put the jb weld on the two things be careful you don't get any on the enjection.

This is why I like the quick weld sets up fast and before it's to hard you can cut the extra off before it's to hard.

Now that that's done I'll trim the sides down on the part on top of the motor so you don't tear the motor mount up. Thread the two parts togather. And slide it up in the motor mount, Draw a line around the top. I don't want jb-weld any lower than the female end that stays in the mount. Pull it out and put some jb-weld in.

Now for the shock cord mount I'll just take an old spent motor case and cut it about 2" long. Ruff it up with some sand paper. This sit on top of the Female coupler. And the 1/8" Kevlar will be between That and the BT-55 body tube,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us I'll just use some 5min epoxy on this.

So when you done it looks like this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us Then you can use the couple tubing as a center ring. And do a some what of a threw the wall fin mount. This mount weighed 1.4oz, with the kevarl

This is what I did on this rocket. Had 1/8" plywood fins two layers of 2.75 glass on them and two wraps of glass on the body tube. I'm sure it will go over 6K on the G-80-13

This is awesome...

No, Seriously. This is awesome. You're making me want to make a 29mm MD rocket. This is a wonderful, cheap solution to a usually expensive-to-fix problem.

I only wonder what the rules have to say about sanding the yellow part of the motor down. It *probably* doesn't hurt anything.

Back