Project Hurricane is a go. L2 Re-Attempt. Mac Performance Firestick XL. 100% Composite Materials. (Build Thread)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you're ready for the next launch!

What do you think about hitting it a little harder than that, as in same impulse with shorter burn, for a higher rail speed?

This rocket kit doesn't get the love it deserves. It is a sweet performer with the cool tail cone. Mine has the original plastic nose cone and tail cone which have held up very well through K550 and similar motors. Mike flew the prototype on an L800-something, I believe.

I used to do my fillets the same way - pour in Bob Smith epoxy (30 min, or 3 hour) and let it self-level. However, the external fillets didn't hold up very well, and would eventually break or crack. They were heavy, too. Later on, I started mixing in fumed silica, and now I simply pull fillets with RocketPoxy.

Your equivalent internal plus external fillets may be a little overkill, but OK.
I didn't even realize he upgraded this kit to FWFG cones until I saw this thread. I love my plastic version, got it before he had his own retainers, and buried a slim line in the back of mine.

I used laminating epoxy for self leveling internals, Aeropoxy if I remember right. I've grown to really like the Rocketpoxy for externals...

Looks like you're ready for the next launch!

What do you think about hitting it a little harder than that, as in same impulse with shorter burn, for a higher rail speed?
Ya know, I'm glad you brought that up. My rocketry philosophy is HSF - High, Straight, Fast. A slow takeoff that weathercocks into a random direction at a random angle is not my idea of a successful launch. I like to see a real kick in the ass off the pad so the rocket slices through the wind. What about a K500? It's a 4-grain K, keeps her under Mach, and get's her up to 40.3 mph off the rail with more acceleration. Way higher, though. About 7800'. But with the Marco Polo tracker and the noise maker....

C'mon. It's only a 24% K. Who's with me? RedLine propellant with the Hurricane theme! Let's do it !! K500 Cert flight baby!!!! GET SOOOOOMMEE!!!!!!
K500_1024x1024.png

I'd start with either a 2 or 3 grain White Thunder load . The J760 is a hammer on sub 10 pound airframes .
Ok, Ok. I'm smellin' what you're steppin' in. A 98% J in 1.75 seconds. That's almost 20 g's, but 53 mph off the rail and a much more reasonable 6377'. Waiting to see what Bernie has in stock - which is usually everything.
J760_1024x1024.png

My rocketry philosophy is HSF - High, Straight, Fast. A slow takeoff that weathercocks into a random direction at a random angle is not my idea of a successful launch. I like to see a real kick in the ass off the pad so the rocket slices through the wind.

Yeah, I'm all for getting it off the pad quickly- that's why I asked. Is your rail in Open Rocket set for 6'?

Yeah, I'm all for getting it off the pad quickly- that's why I asked. Is your rail in Open Rocket set for 6'?

Actually, no. I went back in and checked and somehow it was down to 50 inches! I set it for eight feet and the launch speeds off the rail all went up significantly.

Programmed the two RRC2L’s with the handy LCD screen.
Primary: Apogee, main at 700’
Secondary: Apogee +2 sec., main at 600’.
FBE9511F-0214-4DED-AC33-F4C337FAADE8.jpeg

Actually, no. I went back in and checked and somehow it was down to 50 inches! I set it for eight feet and the launch speeds off the rail all went up significantly.

Yes, your rail speed sounded too low before you corrected the rail length. I just flew my 3 inch carbon fiber rocket with a motor adapter to hold the J295 and it had no problem off the rail for a ten pound rocket. I think sticking with the J295 for a cert flight is fine.

Final form achieved.
View attachment 489644
Three 11/64” vent holes in booster compartment.
Three 5/32” vent holes in switch band (as recommended by manufacturer).
Two 11/64” vent holes in forward compartment.
Four shear pin holes each at nosecone and airframe break.

Fully loaded, no motor: 120 oz (7.5 lbs.)
Holy cow! 7.5 lbs!?

First test of backup altimeter fired but failed to separate. Had masking tape over airframe break to create seal. Possible contributing factor. Also, there was a large outgassing through upper vent hole.
19A40B9F-13E3-48CA-B53C-5CE74B73FFC5.jpeg10E9E911-DC35-4741-9FFD-E6EC88F306CA.jpeg

EDIT: I'm positive I didn't get full ignition of the powder. It was more of a "snap" sound than a deep "poof". Also, there's no way that 11/64" vent hole is going to vent a 1.5 gram bp charge. The whole event was really weak. Additionally, there was an excessive amount of residue inside the airframe, on the bulkhead, and especially on the flame blanket. Kind of a mess, really.

Last edited:
Upped charge to two grams. Re-installed shear pins. Used primary altimeter this time. Separated upper section with a nice kick.
28B129AA-8D9B-4405-8775-70EBBC0E7BD7.jpeg

Repeated process for main deployment. Both altimeters in working order. Two grams is the appropriate charge. She is now flight certified.

Last edited:
Project Hurricane is go for launch.
Date: 11/20/2021
Motor: CTI J355 Redline
Projected Altitude: 5822'
Max. Velocity: 494 mph
Max. Acceleration: 8.8 G's
Touchdown Velocity: 15.8 mph.

She looks good.
Good luck my friend!
Thanks! I need a good bounce on this one. It's like poker - you can only remove so much luck from the equation. And "she looks good", you say? Where was this comment when I was staring at this thing thinking, "I can get that paint better" and started sanding it down and re-painting it at 4am this morning like some deranged psychopath?

Last edited:
Project Hurricane is go for launch.
Date: 11/20/2021
Motor: CTI J355 Redline
Projected Altitude: 5822'
Max. Velocity: 494 mph
Max. Acceleration: 8.8 G's
Touchdown Velocity: 15.8 mph.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Was the scheduled launch scrubbed? Have been following your 'adventures', and was hoping to hear of a successful cert flight.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Was the scheduled launch scrubbed? Have been following your 'adventures', and was hoping to hear of a successful cert flight.
Oh, right. I should've updated this. Launch was, in fact, scrubbed due to high wind and rain. I was going to wait until next month, but Tripoli Fort Myers is a reasonable day trip. That launch is December 4th. I've talked to the prefect and have my Level 2 paperwork to bring - including the written exam results signed by my local prefect.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back