Pro98 Nozzle Not Fully Seated in Liner

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watheyak

Ex-Jaywalker
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have a CTI Pro98 6XL reload and the nozzle didn't quite seat all the way into the liner. It is assembled correctly, with no grain spacer O-ring between the forward closure and top grain, and no grain spacer O-ring between the bottom grain and nozzle. So five O-rings were used for 6 grains,

It's currently loaded in the case while the Gorilla glue cures with some compression from the closures to close the gap a bit. But the nozzle is probably shy of being full seated by 1/16".

Is this within tolerances? At this point it's kind of a moot point, as you wouldn't find out that the motor has this problem until the very end while it's all glues up.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Once the glue sets up..the Noz is pretty much glued to the liner at that point?
I'd try to put one of the grain spacer o-ring in that groove and ...'send it!'

Tony

If the nozzle is not seated by 1/16", it will esentially make the liner 1/16" longer and push the closures out by the same amount. Make sure you've got enough threads in at both ends and that the fwd closure o-ring is still seated to the case ID. It sits pretty close to the edge as it is.

Hey Everyone,

I have a CTI Pro98 6XL reload and the nozzle didn't quite seat all the way into the liner. It is assembled correctly, with no grain spacer O-ring between the forward closure and top grain, and no grain spacer O-ring between the bottom grain and nozzle. So five O-rings were used for 6 grains,

It's currently loaded in the case while the Gorilla glue cures with some compression from the closures to close the gap a bit. But the nozzle is probably shy of being full seated by 1/16".

Is this within tolerances? At this point it's kind of a moot point, as you wouldn't find out that the motor has this problem until the very end while it's all glues up.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Based on what you have described, send it.

Last edited:
If the nozzle is not seated by 1/16", it will esentially make the liner 1/16" longer and push the closures out by the same amount. Make sure you've got enough threads in at both ends and that the fwd closure o-ring is still seated to the case ID. It sits pretty close to the edge as it is.
Hey Loki Scott,

The forward retaining ring is slightly recessed per the instructions. I'm reasonably certain the aft O-ring is as well. It's slight convoluted by the fact that I'm using the boat tail retaining ring, but I'm gonna swap out the standard aft ring for a minute to see where I'm at.

Looking forward to some Loki 98mm awesomeness, by the way.

After swapping out to the standard aft closure, heres a picture of the gap. I think I'm within tolerances.

I have a tendency to overthink things.😔

Thanks everyone.

IMG_3443.jpeg
IMG_3442.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3441.jpeg
    IMG_3441.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Back