Possible Flooding in Budapest, Wish me luck!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awseiger

Reaction score
So, In case any of you all do not know, I am currently doing a semester abroad in Budapest, Hungary. What an amazing city!!! If you ever have a chance, come. Hungarians are Wonderful people, and the city has a wonderful charm which I have not found in any other city I have visited.

However, Budapest is along the Danube, which, if you follow any Central European News, is flooding horribly. I live directly on the water, on the Pest side. In approximately one day I have seen all the cruise ships in front of my house rise up nearly 8 feet! The have also filled the semi-complete parking garage underneath the massive Parliament building with water, as floodwaters could possibly cause the structure to collapse.

They have closed down all the roads along the Danube, and are planning on sealing up the Metro systems and a few trams. Buses are being Re-Routed, and there are people placing sandbags everywhere. The main Problem is... my flat is directly along the Danube. If the water were to rise another 9 feet or so, My front door would be under an inch of water or so, and the Rendorseg (Police) would be at my door evacuating me.... Here's to an Adventure!!!

To anyone hoping to see what the river looks like, here's a live webcam. My flat is extremely close to the location of this webcam, directly across the white bridge on the same side of the river.

https://www.earthtv.com/de/kamerastandort/webcam-budapest-ungarn

Wish me luck!

All part of the adventure. Things to tell your kids and grandkids in days to come. I still am telling stories from my 3 or so years in Germany when I was young and single.

My wife and I visited Budapest a few years ago. It is a beautiful city. Stay dry!

Back