pilot parachute decent rate

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EssamOmar

Reaction score
which pilot parachute decent rate do you recommend for 10 kgs rocket which will reach 14,300 feet above mean sea level ?

Hmm. When I say, or think, "Pilot 'chute," I am picturing it attached to a nosecone and freebag, used to deploy the main. This I size to descend at--or slightly faster than-- the main assembly descent rate.

If you mean drogue (which, given the context, it sounds like you might), I'd shoot for ~75FPS to start --given that weight, maybe an 18" or 24" elliptical, and see how it goes from there...

Later!

--Coop

I would say a 30" drogue would be perfect, but if you are not getting a custom one, you may have to settle for a 36".

22 pound rocket, waay up high? Sounds like something 4 inch fiberglass, on a M.....
I don't drogue my 4 inch fiberglass rockets. Just a personal choice. You can search the forum for many debates on this subject.

If you really must, I'd start off by looking at how big your launch field is, then look at the expected drift for these chutes combined with the historical wind data for the site (at altitude, not the ground level). This will help you figure out how big the chute you can tolerate Don't forget to include in those calculations how much drift you will get from your main chute, deployed at whatever altitude you have that set at.

I know it's not a number, which is what you're looking for, but a honest method of making sure (to the best of your ability) of keeping the project in your field. This is a imperative for most sites......especially in the east. I believe that both NAR and Tripoli codes speak to this as well.

Back