Pick my level 3 project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pick my level 3 project

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rschub

Reaction score
Every newly minted level 2 immediately starts dreaming of the next step, I would guess. It will probably be a year or 2 before I seriously start to think about doing it, but in the meantime...

I am having a tough time choosing between slow, safe, and cheap, and fast sexy and less cheap.

The candidates are:
1. Ginsu The base of this is a 6" Ultimate Punisher with some custom fins, boat tail, and a big old 98mm motor mount. RSAERO predicts 9500ish on an M1350.

Ginsu.png

2. Da Big Knob This is based on LOC Doorknob parts, it will be big, slow and cardboard. RSAERO predicts 4500 feet on the same motor.

Da Big Knob.png

A side by side comparison:
side by side.png

I will probably build both eventually, but which is a better Level 3 design? Vote early and often!

I would chose what your comfortable with and especially one for the location you fly. I've already been looking at L3 builds but it's pretty in depth and too soon. I'd like to have a few summers at L2 before I'm comfortable enough with myself to submit the L3 build.

I would talk to your L3 mentor and see what they suggest as well, they will be the one signing off on it, and with you for the certification flight. Good luck!

This upcoming years projects are pretty much planned out, and level 3 is not on the list. 2025 though.....

The Ginsu sims out to almost 30k on an N1000.

Tbs Go Big GIF by Leroy Patterson

Back