Perfectflite programing.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketcharlie

Reaction score
I have tried to use the CD that came with the Perfectgloght Stratologger that bought to program a slight delay of firing the apogee charge. I can't get the CD they included to open for some reason. Will someone walk me through doing this? Either using my laptop or doing it in the field, it doesnt matter to me.

Thanks advance-

There is an important caveat to using the software to program the Stratalogger: (from the manual)

"Note: You must make the initial connection to the altimeter while the settings are being reported; if you wait until the altimeter goes silent (or is beeping continuity beeps) it will not communicate with the computer."

Of course I did not bother to read the manual carefully and could not figure why the software did not work. And of course I did a Google search instead of reading the manual. Fortunately enough people make the same mistake that I found the answer pretty quickly.

So make sure the software is already up and running, the altimeter is connected, and then turn it one and use the menu Altimeter > Setup right away to change the settings. If you've been able to download the data, you are probably already familiar with this, but just in case.

And, here's a simple trick to speed up boot time at the field: The Stratalogger maddeningly reports zero as ten beeps. So if you set the main for 500 feet, you're in for a long wait at startup. Instead, use 511 feet (or whatever main you want) and you'll save a lot of frustration with your ear next to the rocket at the field. For my BALLS flights, I set the main to 1111 feet, a nice quick four beeps.

Tony

Thats funny Manix. Yes I agree, listening to all those beeps to to report a zero is ironic.

I get the following message when I try to setup the Altimiter:

DiagCode 02, 0

What am I doing wrong? I'm not sure if I installed the driver correctly. Do you just extract the files from the zip drive?

From this thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/perfectflite-question.142413/
"It all came down to timing. You hook up your altimeter to your laptop using the DT4U cable. Open the program on your laptop and turn on the power to the altimeter. While the altimeter is chirping out its initial start up beeps, you click on "altimeter" from the top left menu and select a COMM port, then in the menu right next to that is "Data", click that and then click "acquire" and your good to go. If you wait too long and the alt has already gone thru its start up beeps, and you click "acquire", you will get the "DiagCod 02,0". Hope this helps someone."

So the code just meant you were taking too long to connect to the altimeter. As I mentioned in my first post, you have to be pretty quick on the draw when you power up the altimeter.

Tony

review pages 3 and 4 of the USB data transfer manual:
https://www.perfectflite.com/Downloads/DT4U manual.pdf

Last edited:
There is an important caveat to using the software to program the Stratalogger: (from the manual)

"Note: You must make the initial connection to the altimeter while the settings are being reported; if you wait until the altimeter goes silent (or is beeping continuity beeps) it will not communicate with the computer."

Of course I did not bother to read the manual carefully and could not figure why the software did not work. And of course I did a Google search instead of reading the manual. Fortunately enough people make the same mistake that I found the answer pretty quickly.

So make sure the software is already up and running, the altimeter is connected, and then turn it one and use the menu Altimeter > Setup right away to change the settings. If you've been able to download the data, you are probably already familiar with this, but just in case.

And, here's a simple trick to speed up boot time at the field: The Stratalogger maddeningly reports zero as ten beeps. So if you set the main for 500 feet, you're in for a long wait at startup. Instead, use 511 feet (or whatever main you want) and you'll save a lot of frustration with your ear next to the rocket at the field. For my BALLS flights, I set the main to 1111 feet, a nice quick four beeps.

Tony
That was a great tip!!

That was a great tip!!
Thanks. I hate to say it but most of us just want to plug stuff in and make it work, the heck with the instructions. I admit nearly every time I want to hook up my Perfectflites, it takes me a couple of tries to get it right. If I flew more it would be easier to remember, but I finally printed out a copy of the DT4U manual pages and keep them with the adapter.

Tony

From this thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/perfectflite-question.142413/
"It all came down to timing. You hook up your altimeter to your laptop using the DT4U cable. Open the program on your laptop and turn on the power to the altimeter. While the altimeter is chirping out its initial start up beeps, you click on "altimeter" from the top left menu and select a COMM port, then in the menu right next to that is "Data", click that and then click "acquire" and your good to go. If you wait too long and the alt has already gone thru its start up beeps, and you click "acquire", you will get the "DiagCod 02,0". Hope this helps someone."

So the code just meant you were taking too long to connect to the altimeter. As I mentioned in my first post, you have to be pretty quick on the draw when you power up the altimeter.

Tony

review pages 3 and 4 of the USB data transfer manual:
https://www.perfectflite.com/Downloads/DT4U manual.pdf
Hello - This is not 1000% on-topic but I've been trying to get an upgraded version of Perfecflite Data software for Mac. The current 2017 version is 32 bit and all Macs running 10.15 Catalina and 10.16 Big Sur (coming-out in Oct 2020) need 64 bit programs. I've been writing to Perfectflite since July this year to inquire about an update-- but no reply. If anyone knows anything here, please reply! Thanks very much! Steve "MacOnly since 1989" on Thursday 24 September 2020

Latest posts

Back