Payloads: How do you pop them open?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike dd966

Reaction score
I want to build a payload bay that will pop open at apogee and send a few items raining down. I want to keep it simple. Any ideas that have worked for you would be appreciated.

Drop them right in the rocket so the ejection charge will push them directly out, no need for a payload bay.

Just make sure you use something to protect your items from being burned, such as a nomex chute protector.

I used to do it a lot with those little skydiving army men in my big bertha.

Braden

Unless you have "items" with chutes/safe recovery on them, not a good idea to have "items" raining down from rockets.

that's my asking to "what is a few items raining down" mean

Unless you have "items" with chutes/safe recovery on them, not a good idea to have "items" raining down from rockets.

Unless the "item" was just water.....then it would BE rain!

I want to build a payload bay that will pop open at apogee and send a few items raining down. I want to keep it simple. Any ideas that have worked for you would be appreciated.

A Piñata Rocket!!!

We had one Saturday at the LUNAR monthly launch at Snow Ranch. The kids love it. As I understand it, the candy is deployed with the chute or when the rocket lawndarts. Doesn't sound like what you're looking for but...

A pinata rocket is exactly what I had in mind. Small pieces of candy with crepe paper steamers for the kids. I want to open the payload bay without melting the candy. Looking for ideas....
Thanks for all the safety minded responses.......we should never assume, always clarify.

The first thought that comes to mind is a "clamshell" payload bay, with a vertical hinge that would be spring-loaded and restrained by some sort of latch that would release when the payload/nose cone ejects at apogee.

Might be a bit heavy, but with the opening to one side, there is minimal chance of melted candy.

G.D.

Reading this post, all I could think of was the old TV show,
WKRP in Cincinnati

"With God As My Witness,
I Thought Turkeys Could Fly...."

-John-

If timing is critical go with the ejection charge and piston, if not, and you want delivery at apogee, just have a loose nosecone tied on with a shockcord; the apogee deployment charge along with the shifting mass of the payload should pop the NC right off.

Back