Painting over decals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMC

Reaction score
I am getting back into rocketry after some 38 years away. So much is the same yet so much is new. I am finishing my Estes Phoenix missile this weekend. Shooting color today and tomorrow. The decals are not water slide, they are self sticking plastic. Can they be covered with clear? I doubt they'd stay stuck down for long otherwise but I don't want to risk destroying my carefully applied finish.

I am getting back into rocketry after some 38 years away. So much is the same yet so much is new. I am finishing my Estes Phoenix missile this weekend. Shooting color today and tomorrow. The decals are not water slide, they are self sticking plastic. Can they be covered with clear? I doubt they'd stay stuck down for long otherwise but I don't want to risk destroying my carefully applied finish.

If you can wait a few days, you can pick up a set of waterslide decals from Excelsior.
https://www.excelsiorrocketry.com/product.php?id_product=339
You should be okay covering the sticker decals with clear. They don't stick that well, but they're pretty tough.

+ 1 On what Fishhead says---that said if you choose to use self adhesive decals--use caution--once down ,that's it--ain't no slidin around--you can use a little soapy water for forgiveness though. I've never been a fan of adhesive backed decals , but after using stickershocks---I'm sold!

I'm ordering a set of the water slide decals. My big fingers are no good at laying down those pesky stickers and they always seem to get a big old hair stuck in them.

I'm ordering a set of the water slide decals. My big fingers are no good at laying down those pesky stickers and they always seem to get a big old hair stuck in them.

You'll need to clearcoat them before you use them. I've had good luck with the Testor's clear that's used for their decal products. Give it two coats and you should be good to go.

My Big Daddy has water-slide and stick on vinyl decals. It is painted with Krylon Indoor/Outdoor colors, decals applied and clear coated with Indoor/Outdoor clear.
BigDaddy lower.jpg

BigDaddy (s).jpg

Latest posts

Back