OT: Anyone know what this is?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Reaction score
I like looking round old abandoned places, and one day I found this. I was walking through a wood where a old pshycriatric Hospital once stood which has now been knocked down. I tripped on it as it was risen from the soil, and I put it away with intentions to ask people what they thought it was.

The Hospital has been knocked down for about 15 years now, and the only pictures I can find of the place are dated from 1985. The pictures I found were of some of the mentally ill patients. I can give you the link as you may find it interesting but I may now proceed to have nightmares.

Anyway, this object I found was half buried in the earth surrounded by old Shotgun Casings, which I no longer have in possessionTBH. Can anyone it?

Sorry for ranting on, I like to talk about my local history :)

Karl

it looks like its a stand for something or a base to hold something :S

It kind of resembles the base of a microphone stand, but I don't think it's big enough; mine are about 10 inches across, without getting my lazy rear out of the chair long enough to go measure one ;) .

Although I do have one mic stand with a base that's only about 7-8 inches across, it's a table-top stand, only about 8 inches tall.

What does the object seem to be made out of? As badly corroded as it is, I'm going to guess it's steel, and was perhaps 1/4 inch thick in its original state. Is that about right?

Is it metal?

It looks like an old metal lampshade. Like the kind that would run down the middle of an old holpital corridor.

Old finds can't be all that great...once on "Antiques Roadshow" someone brought in what they thought was an old collectable pottery piece, the pottery expert had to dissapoint the owner.

The dead givaway on the "old" pottery piece was the inscription on the bottum..."save for use in microwave and dishwasher".:D

Originally posted by sandman
Is it metal?

It looks like an old metal lampshade. Like the kind that would run down the middle of an old holpital corridor.

Instead of a lampshade, it may well have been the decorative piece that covers where a light was attached to a wall or ceiling.

-Kevin

Originally posted by sandman
Is it metal?

WOW, a good few replies in such a short space of time!

Yes it does appear to be metal, as its started to rust and flake away.

I dont think it can be a decorative piece or a Mic stand as the inside as some sort of 'internal nipple' which wouldn't let a wire pass through I dont think.

I've some more history about the place, which is quite an interesting read! If anyone wishes to visit it, the link is here.

Thanks guys,
Karl

Originally posted by Karl

I dont think it can be a decorative piece or a Mic stand as the inside as some sort of 'internal nipple' which wouldn't let a wire pass through I dont think.

Well almost all mic stands I have ever seen/used for performances or on PA systems don't have the wire pass through the stand itself. It's definitely the right shape for one of those short mic stands. The only thing that baffles me is that the hole in the center of the first picture appears to be square. Usually the base for most mic stands has a round threaded hole to receive the steel tube that holds the mic up.

I'm not convinced it's a mic stand base either.

-DAllen

in pic one it looks like a micro U.F.O. id put a 24mm motor mount in it and fly it at your next launch....

of course ive been known to fly traffic cones, my daughters homework, happy meal toys , hubcaps and about anything else that makes people go "What the hell is that?"

The round shape indicates to me that it was used as a base attachment point for something.

The square hole indicates that the object inserted was meant to be kept in position and not allowed to rotate. It also means that whatever went into that hole was square as well.

If the picture was more focused on the object itself, and not on the lotto jackpot headline in back, we might be able to get more detail on the underside of it, which is where the telltale attachment points would be.

Some possibilities that come to mind are:
1) Bannister baseplate
2) Bedframe foot baseplate

WW

If I had to guess, I'd say that it's either

A petrified prehistoric amoeba

or

A hubcap from 1949 Buick....

Take your pick...:D

doesnt matter what this is... a better question is:

What motor diameter will fit?

:D

Originally posted by Karl
WOW, a good few replies in such a short space of time!

Yes it does appear to be metal, as its started to rust and flake away.

I've some more history about the place, which is quite an interesting read! If anyone wishes to visit it, the link is here.

Thanks guys,
Karl

Wire? I'm guessing electro-shock therapy!!??!!??!!

Ouch..some nice headgear.....

Back