Open Rocket Feature Request(s)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawfactor

Reaction score
Not sure this is the best place for this. But for my research the following would be very handy:

1. Export: Export a Simulation to KML. https://www.bigredbee.com/kml_gallery.htm as examples. Also the Lat,Long csv export only exports 3 significant digits which make it problematic to generate a KML from the CSV.

2. Weather linking? Don't know what a good source would be but having a way to link to a weather station would be handy.

3. Simulation parameter optimization. Similar to the rocket optimization but for example min/max/seek to a lateral distance with the launch angle and recovery option as a parameters.

1. Export: Export a Simulation to KML. https://www.bigredbee.com/kml_gallery.htm as examples. Also the Lat,Long csv export only exports 3 significant digits which make it problematic to generate a KML from the CSV.

We first need effective 3-d simulation options. Ideally, you should be able to set wind directions and speeds, as well as air temperature, at various altitudes. Right now there isn't really even a choice of wind direction.

This is one of the things I want to add, especially Monte Carlo dispersion analysis.

2. Weather linking? Don't know what a good source would be but having a way to link to a weather station would be handy.

I'm not sure the utility of this, since the detailed weather that really affects the flight characteristics (wind at various altitudes) isn't available until the day of.

What parameters are you interested in?

3. Simulation parameter optimization. Similar to the rocket optimization but for example min/max/seek to a lateral distance with the launch angle and recovery option as a parameters.

What do you intend to do? If you're flying really, really high (100k shots at Black Rock), the dispersion will make goal-seeking extremely hard. In the first place, it needs Monte Carlo dispersion calculation.

Also, I'm not totally convinced of simulators' abilities to accurately simulate the weathercocking that often occurs immediately after leaving the rail, making the results not terribly valid.

We first need effective 3-d simulation options. Ideally, you should be able to set wind directions and speeds, as well as air temperature, at various altitudes. Right now there isn't really even a choice of wind direction.

This is one of the things I want to add, especially Monte Carlo dispersion analysis.

Correct I guess I should have pretext all of these feature request are for vetting simulations vs reality and for better design<->simulation optimization loop. AKA make the sim better to make designs better.

I'm not sure the utility of this, since the detailed weather that really affects the flight characteristics (wind at various altitudes) isn't available until the day of.

What parameters are you interested in?

The utility of this is to be able to quickly on launch day update feature 1. And then to in near real time (as far as weather is concerned) run your real GPS data against simulated data. Plus can save alot of copy/pasteing :) But if there was a way to feed weather info into the simulation.

What do you intend to do? If you're flying really, really high (100k shots at Black Rock), the dispersion will make goal-seeking extremely hard. In the first place, it needs Monte Carlo dispersion calculation.

Correct but with listeners involved there is no telling what you can do.

Also, I'm not totally convinced of simulators' abilities to accurately simulate the weathercocking that often occurs immediately after leaving the rail, making the results not terribly valid.

Well that would be part of my research into validating per experimental data the simulations.

Thank you for reading them.

I think I misinterpreted your initial post, though. I assumed you meant linking to an Internet weather website, but what you're actually interested in is running the simulation based off of wind conditions measured at the pad in realtime?

That indeed would provide better info on stability off the rod and such.

Hi,

I've been thinking of this as well. The real utility of this would be to have real wind direction and velocity at different altitudes. GFS provides free, global weather forecasts (and current state) with wind direction and velocities at different altitudes. However, we should first implement a multi-layered wind model. (And decouple the wind direction from the launch rod direction even before that.)

Yep, that's another thing I had in mind when implementing the optimization system, but never got around to implementing. The optimization system itself is capable of handling that, though the surrounding code may need some work to update the optimized parameters to the simulations afterwards.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

Latest posts

Back