Open rocket dual deployment question concerning the drogue chute

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
OK, so I have been messing around on OR, and I am using Dual Deployment using a Raven Altimeter. I am having trouble with the size of the drogue chute though. The rocket weighs 35 ounces at burnout of the top stage (no bottom stage). What size and shape of drogue chute should I use? I am trying to deploy the main 26 inch X-form chute at 500 feet or less. Apogee is about 3000 feet. I tried using an 8 inch chute for the drogue, but deployment of the main occurred at 50 miles per hour. I tried using a big streamer, but the main was deployed a 117 miles an hour.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Matt Fletcher

go without the drogue. I never fly one. just be careful to put in some kind of zipper prevention I guess. Mine are all fiberglass and I have never had a problem

Matt-what you may have not considered is that the program 'says' it deploys at 50 mph, that's not exactly what's happening in real life. If your main comes out at that speed, it actually begins to slow pretty rapidly now it's become even more 'un-aerodynamic' with the nose cone flopping about and the shock cord whipping around with the nomex and chute bag, etc. I use small rubber bands over my kevlar as shock absorbers and they delay the opening as much a few seconds while they break/stretch/fall off as the leash extends and the chute fills. I also take a couple of inches of duct tape and fold it over to make a small square on the line where it exits the body tube to disperse the energy over a larger area to prevent a zipper. Not elegant or pretty, but I've never had one, either.

What is the equivalent diameter of a 26 inch X-form chute? Also, what about a streamer for the drogue? It just adds visibility.

Back