Nylon Parachute Newb: How Dense To Pack

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
I've never packed a Ripstop Nylon Chute before. I've read up on packing density and then ran the numbers.

This application is for my Cygnus probe which uses an 18" chute in a C-55 tube. The numbers say 1-3/4" of tube length is all that is needed. When I fold the chute 3" seems better... but what do I know?

The rocket has a motor hook... so no worries in regard to the motor ejecting instead of a tight packed chute.

What's been your experience? Can you pack a ripstop nylon chute pretty tight and not have issues?

Thanks!

2022-02-28 Cygnus Probe Open Rocket Simulation.jpg

NEVER cram a parachute into a rocket. As I tell people at build and fly events, you are preparing a rocket, not getting ready to fire a muzzle loader. No need to ram stuff in that needs to pop out from an ejection charge that could be weak or a shotgun blast.

NEVER cram a parachute into a rocket. As I tell people at build and fly events, you are preparing a rocket, not getting ready to fire a muzzle loader. No need to ram stuff in that needs to pop out from an ejection charge that could be weak or a shotgun blast.

Sure.. but different chute materials have different weights and there are different packing densities. Any experience with rip stop nylon?

Packing Density Data.jpg

Rip-stop that is packed too tightly will either not deploy or get excessive burn holes on it. If you have the room to pack it loose, I would. I generally like to have parachutes fall out under gravity or slight shaking

If you can blow it out, so can the motor (usually).

I fold my chutes till they fit the tube. Not too small. But never tight either. For lpr's.

It all depends, like so much else. A good deployment bag can enable a very dense pack. A bare shute sitting behind some wadding needs to be fairly loosely packed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back