Not a bad price on birch ply

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigander

Reaction score
Dad and I took a trip out to wood crafters (he actually wanted to go himself this wasn't a drag dad along trip) and as we round the corner I saw something that caught my eye, birch ply! I got a 1/4" x 24" x 30" piece for $20 dollars. It's finnish birch ply with next to none warpage, this is alot better than the rip off prices i find at Hobby stores!

Finnish birch ply is used for cabinets all the time. I love working with the stuff as I find is slightly lighter than Baltic birch and slightly stronger. WoodCraft has a good supply of sizes and its pretty cheap too.

-Aaron

Finnish birch ply is used for cabinets all the time. I love working with the stuff as I find is slightly lighter than Baltic birch and slightly stronger. WoodCraft has a good supply of sizes and its pretty cheap too.

-Aaron

I just glanced at it and said, omg that looks like birch ply! And it was! So I saw the price and pounced on it! Not bad prices there at all, include a pretty nice pair of safety glasses for only $5 and painting mask my total only came up to $32. That sheet should last me for a few birds. I also noticed they have large bass blocks that are perfect for nosecones!(mpr at least)

Dad and I took a trip out to wood crafters (he actually wanted to go himself this wasn't a drag dad along trip) and as we round the corner I saw something that caught my eye, birch ply! I got a 1/4" x 24" x 30" piece for $20 dollars. It's finnish birch ply with next to none warpage, this is alot better than the rip off prices i find at Hobby stores!
Woodworker's Source.

Normally just grab a 5'x5', but they often have 1/2 or 1/4 sheets. Smaller rockets I just grab a couple of those scroll saw squares $1.50.

I get my basswood and balsa from https://www.northwestlumberco.com/ They're local for me and a 3x3x36 block of fairly good balsa is only $15 I buy basswood by the board foot in 8/4 and 12/4 sizes. They have 16/4 but I've never had the need before. (NorthWest has 5'x5'x1/4 Baltic birch ply for $28.)

-Aaron

Use to buy from Superior Balsa. Haven't bought from them in 3-4 yrs. Still have alot left. Someone told me they moved to NM then went out of bussiness. If anyone knows please update me.

Back