Nice Slot Cutter for Glass/Glassed Tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deandome

Reaction score
OK, it's a ton of money if you think of it just as a rocket tool, but I've had a Fein Multimaster for years and love it. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_...ias%3Daps&field-keywords=fein+multimaster

I'm building a 4" Thor, and I glassed the tubes, taping on the inside of the fin slots. But then you have the glass to cut thru, and that's a pain. A Dremel w/a wheel is hard to control & very messy....that's what I did for my Talon. But then I remembered I had a new flush-cut blade left over from drywall undercutting, so I gave it a go ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000223P1/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 ).

WOW....what an improvement! The Fein doesn't spin, it kinda oscillates on a rotational axis just a little bit. If you put the blade on your finger when it's on, it doesn't cut it. I still wore a mask, but dust was minimal, and the blade has a longer 'wheelbase' so it stays straighter as it cuts. Best of all, you can use a piece of wood as a straightedge to make them even straighter.

They have zillions of blades...you could easily plunge-cut a 1/2" slot into G-10 tubing, if you ever wanted to, with their e-cut blades. You could get make perfectly-profiled "fillet sander" for everything from 2-10" birds. Then there's woodworking (cutting and sanding), grout removal, drywall (!! great for this!!). Rocket use is just icing on the cake.

I have the older, allen-wrench attachment version. The new lever action looks sweet, but it's a LOT more than I paid 8 years ago...and I see some nice deals on new/refurbed versions of mine at good prices.

My use was kind of specific..I wasn't cutting raw slots but rather just removing glass from slotted phenolic. But a lot of us do that, and short of a dedicated, sliding router-table jig setup (which I always say I'll make, but never do), this is a great slotting/cutting/sanding tool for rockets...and a WHOLE lot more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back