New X-15 and Buran videos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:
Frank

That is absolutely amazing!!! You have a lot of talent and building skills. I really like the videos, but you know what would be cool? If you could mount the camera on the X-15 or Shuttle, but point it toward the nose...this way we can get a birds eye view of what it looks like coming in for a landing and see all the surrounding area...that would be so awesome!!:D:D:D:D

Dan, I did actually do a second flight with the camera facing forward, however because it was so foggy and dark all you really saw was the fog, and only saw the ground as I was making my final turns since I was in a pretty flat glide, once I flared, it was pointing up again. I'll do another flight on a better day so that you can see the horizon. I probably will also mount the camera pointing down and forward slightly so that you see something of the horizon on the way up as well.

I just added the front view in for the heck of it so you can see it now.

Frank

Frank

That is absolutely amazing!!! You have a lot of talent and building skills. I really like the videos, but you know what would be cool? If you could mount the camera on the X-15 or Shuttle, but point it toward the nose...this way we can get a birds eye view of what it looks like coming in for a landing and see all the surrounding area...that would be so awesome!!:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
I got in a bunch of flights today, last two were on an E-11 and an F-12 blackjack. Thanks to John Lyngdal for taking photos, I got the smoke between him and the rocket on a couple of shots.

Frank

IMG_2899 (1).jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2927.jpg

Fantastic flights, what manufacture made the engines, Aerotech I imagine? I loved the movie, and the "go faster" part of me wants to ask what the biggest motor you can safely put in this rocket glider is?

Yes, Aerotech made the motors, E-6 RC, E-11 RMS, and F-12 RMS. Given that this weighs only 10 ounces(even at 42 inches long) for the F-12 at 4 pounds thrust initially, that is about as hard as I would want to push this. I had an E-15 ready to go, but that is 5 pounds thrust off the pad, and it just isn't needed, and once the speed gets much faster, you have to be really light on the sticks. I just didn't want to risk shredding anything. As for altitude the E-6 gets it about as high as both the E-11 and F-12, due to increased drag at the higher speed, the last two just get it there faster and leave a nice black smoke trail. I wanted to test it out on some different motors to see how versitile it would be, so I've flown it on D-12's, E-9's(estes), E-6, E-11 and F-12's. This version has about 16 flights on it now.

Frank

Fantastic flights, what manufacture made the engines, Aerotech I imagine? I loved the movie, and the "go faster" part of me wants to ask what the biggest motor you can safely put in this rocket glider is?

Great stuff Frank. I really like the X-15
icon14.gif

Back