New Star Trek movie

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw the teaser for it when I saw "Cloverfield" last Friday. Wonder how it's going to be? I know they tagged the guy who plays Sylar on Heroes to be Spock.

"squidding out"

Is that a good thing...

Or not?

Effects guy slang for showing fan-boy zeal over something.

Traditionally, once one is "in the business" (effects business specifically) one looks down one's nose at "squids" (fan-boys, who tend to glomph on you, much as one would envision a squid wrapping its tentacles around you) however, one doesn't generally get into the effects biz without being a squid for something, either Star Trek, Star Wars, Irwin Allen, Ray Harryhausen, etc. I am a hardcore Harryhausen squid, but also have a thing for the original series Star Trek (which i watched in the 60's with my mom....

It is a good thing.

Unless you're "cool". Then you keep it to yourself.

Alan

Effects guy slang for showing fan-boy zeal over something.

Alan

Funny that you guys use the same slang word in a similar fashion to us in the motorcycle world.

A squid has evolved to identify a handful of motorcycle types. They are usually one of these categories:

1. Idiots who ride wheelies and do stupid things on public roads, almost always endangering the public.
2. Dress like a MotoGP racer with knee sliders that never touch the pavement, ride the hottest bike with all the go fast mods, but they are scared to go around a curve at anything above 30 mph without putting their foot down like a kid learning to ride a bicycle.
3. Think they are the most awesome rider around and love to tell you about it but couldn't keep pace with the horse next to them on a carousel.

I don't know about Sylar as Spock. Any time I see him on TV in another role, I immediately dislike the character. I try not to let myself typecast, but his role in Heroes is pretty hard to shake out of my head.

I don't know about Sylar as Spock. Any time I see him on TV in another role, I immediately dislike the character. I try not to let myself typecast, but his role in Heroes is pretty hard to shake out of my head.

That, and he always looks like he's either scowling or grinning evilly. And he's got some awfully heavy eyebrows, and brow ridges, going on there, too.

In Drag Racing Lingo "squids or Street Squids" is a term interchangeable with Street Squirrels.:D

Along the same lines as the Squid terms stated preiviously.
Squid:
One who can not hold a straight line.
He who stages with the REAR wheels.:rotflol:
Anyone who thinks the t.v. show "Pinks" is cool.... or real.

Well that just a sample!

So many ways to use the term Squid, all basicly the same meaning.

I know for me, the term "squid" always meant some Navy dude....

or guys who make up some "cool" vernacular instead of just saying "idiot".

Hey, Pinks is cool. Some of the guys on it are idiots....or should I say "squids"

v/r
Bravo

Man that looks awesome :) Always loved TOS the best.
Cheers
Fred

The guy they should have cast is the dude who hosts "Cheaters". His dead-pan delivery is right on and totally logical. :) Every time I watch this show I crack up at his commentary.

Mike

Question from someone who enjoys Star Trek but is not an absolute trek junkie... Where in the Trek time line does this new movie take place?

I know I'm not fitting in with the rocketry crowd, not knowing everything there is to know about Star Trek..... I'm sorry. I deserve a felony Caneing! :viking:

For the Trek fans, the first teaser is out. Not much info but I must say from what It shows of the big E so far it looks good.

Man, I just ordered a truck load of popcorn and a case of Guiness. I'm gonna get my Trek fix.:):p:D

I think it takes place just after Kirk leaves the academy. If I remember correctly Kirk stayed at the academy for one tour after his commissioning to teach. But I have heard rumors that the movie will show Kirks kobayashi maru test. We can assume this takes place after commissioning as it did for Lt. Savak.

Hope this helps

I always thought a Squid was a type of fish, and relative of the cuttle fish. That it came in various varieties, and sizes. And are the main staple of many marine animals, notably the Sperm Whale.

I have a freind, a mo-bike guy, who lost his liscence due to speed (FJ1200 re-bored, Barnet clutch, Yoshi pipes, and a rear tire a month!) He found he got a speed wobble at about 240kph... but it went away at about 260 - 270kph..

I guess i need to stop watching Discovery, History, Animal Planet, etc.. and start watching 'mainstream' TV, to see who this Sylar guy is..

Movie looks great! should be a treat for us all!! and not some corny 'extended episode where the Enterprise meets its doom'. But I do have to admit my un-geek-iness.. What was Kirk's "Kobayashi Maru Test"?

Well I guess I have to admit my geekness. From the Memory Alpha Star Trek web site. The first paragraph has the meat of what it is/was.

The Kobayashi Maru scenario was an infamous no-win scenario that was part of the curriculum for command-track cadets at Starfleet Academy in the 23rd century. It was primarily used to assess a cadet's discipline, character, and command capabilities when facing an impossible situation.

In the scenario, a cadet was placed in command of a starship on patrol near the Klingon Neutral Zone. The starship would receive a distress signal from the SS Kobayashi Maru, a civilian freighter that had been disabled in the zone after having struck a gravitic mine. If the cadet chose to enter the neutral zone in violation of treaties, the starship would be confronted by three Klingon K't'inga-class battlecruisers. The test was considered a no-win scenario because it was impossible for the cadet to simultaneously save the Kobayashi Maru, avoid a fight with the Klingons, and escape from the neutral zone with the starship intact.

There were likely several variations of the Kobayashi Maru scenario that existed at various times. It is probable that the Academy instructors periodically retool the scenario to fit current events in the galaxy.

In the 2250s, James T. Kirk became the first (and only known) cadet to ever beat the no-win scenario. After taking the test and failing twice, Kirk took the test a third time after surreptitiously reprogramming the computer to make it possible to win the scenario.

Kirk got a commendation for "original thinking", and later commented wistfully that his stunt "had the virtue of never having been tried." Kirk would later defend his "cheating" by arguing that he didn't believe in the no-win scenario. Ironically, Kirk also defended the test itself by suggesting "how we face death is at least as important as how we face life".

During the filming of The Wrath of Khan, some people voiced concern at the notion of Kirk having "cheated" to pass the test. However, Nicholas Meyer defended the notion, saying it revealed an aspect of Kirk's character, and that the film, or Kirk, shouldn't be restricted by "television mentality".

In 2285, Kirk, then an admiral serving as an instructor at the Academy, supervised Lieutenant Saavik's performance in the Kobayashi Maru scenario. Former USS Enterprise crew members Spock, Sulu, Uhura, and McCoy participated as "actors" in the simulation. Saavik's performance was predictably dismal; as Kirk observed, "She destroyed the simulator room and [the crew] with it." (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

The term "Kobayashi Maru" may be a slang term for any hopeless situation in the 23rd century, at least in Starfleet Culture. Leonard McCoy considered his and James T. Kirk's imprisonment on Rura Penthe to be a "Kobayashi Maru", and told Kirk as much their first night at the penal mine. (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)

My old college roommate and I used "squids" to refer to something altogether different than any reference presented here.... :surprised:

:rotflol::rotflol:

Ah, the good ol' days. :lol:

ps: I saw the trailer for ST when I saw Cloverfield last Saturday. A little early to tell what the gist or the angle will be with this one, without looking at other trailers or following any other links. I haven't missed any of the ST movies made for the "big screen" yet (at least on video/DVD, if not at the theater) I'm sure I'll see this one too sooner or later.

Cheers! Thanks!!

I guess my grey matter needed a bit of a poke. Now I remeber the references.. Just didn't put 2 & 2 together..

Latest posts

Back