New Contrail Rockets Motors Certified

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ContrailRockets

Reaction score
New Contrail Rockets Motors Certified

On Monday October 17th, 2005 Contrail Rockets had 17 new motors certified with Tripoli Rocketry Association. These new motors range from G to K Impulse and were certified in the current 75mm hardware as well as the new, and now released 38mm Hardware Line! The New motors which were certified are as follows, along with the case which they fit into:
G-100-PVC 16 Inch Hardware
G-130-PVC 16 Inch Hardware
G-123-HP 16 Inch Hardware
H-141-PVC 20 Inch Hardware
H-211-PVC 20 Inch Hardware
H-121-HP 20 Inch Hardware
H-300-HP 20 Inch Hardware
I-221-PVC 28 Inch Hardware
H-277-HP 28 Inch Hardware
I-500-HP 28 Inch Hardware
I-210-PVC 36 Inch Hardware
I-307-HP 36 Inch Hardware
J-242-PVC 48 Inch Hardware
J-333-HP 48 Inch Hardware
J-555-HP 48 Inch Hardware
K-456-BG 1400cc Hardware
K-777-SP 2050cc Hardware

The first 15 motors listed are for the 38mm Cases, and the last 2 (K-Motors) are for the 75mm Line.

The New 38mm line of motors has 4 different speeds, and 3 different nozzles available for use in the motors. The Speed Combinations include Slow, Medium, Fast and Xtra-Fast. The Nozzle for Fast and Xtra-Fast are interchangeable.

There are 2 different types of fuel currently available for the 38mm line of motors including PVC type Grains, as well as a High Performance, High Regression Fuel. Pricing for Reloads is as follows… PVC Reloads are 45.00 for 3, HP Reloads are 60.00 for 3 and XFast Reloads are 70.00 for 3.

Also, All of Contrail Rockets 75mm Reloads have gone through a price drop. This includes the 2 new reloads (The K-456-BG and the K-777-SP). The New Pricing is listed Below:
K-543-BS $75.00
K-456-BG $75.00
K-777-SP $85.00
K-888-BS $85.00
L-1222-SP $95.00
M-711-BS $95.00
M-1491-BS $95.00
M-2281-BS $130.00
L-1428-SP $130.00
L-2525-BG $130.00
The Contrail Rockets Website has been updated to include the new products, as well as many videos of all the newly certified motors. Please check out the site and if you have any further questions feel free to ask!
Thanks
Tom Sanders
Contrail Rockets

Originally posted by Rocket Guy 1317
Are they certified by the fire marshall here in California.

They are hybrids. As long as your Tires are legal, and PVC Pipe in your home are legal your set!

No problems what so ever!

Tom Sanders

I have to say, my favorite one is the I-500. Its just so mean! If you watch the video its On, and then just shuts off! The J-555 is a longer burning I-500, and it has the same roar! Not the same on, and off like the I-500, but a really rippin flame! The J-555 has a nice growl at the end too.

The L-1428 is our Fast Sparky Motor. But be careful... It's got some real good kick off the pad. And the really great sparks! The one we flew at LDRS set the a couple small fires. So be careful!

No matter what you fly I wanna hear about it!

Tom Sanders

G130?
Wow. I may have to get some hybrids soon. Any idea when the 54mm ones will be ready?

Well, there is some good news for you and Todd: I finally got a job!:D

Originally posted by cjl
G130?
Wow. I may have to get some hybrids soon. Any idea when the 54mm ones will be ready?

Yes, its a very fast G! They provide some really good kick, and should give a nice small rocket some good "get up and go."

The 54mm motors will not be out till '06. There is still some development which has to go on to get the X-Fast 54's down.

As time progresses I will get everyone more information on them. But for now, enjoy the new 38's! They are really fun motors!

Tom Sanders

Originally posted by spacecadet
mmmmm no explosives licence with non-pyro ignition.
Just need another Brit with a cert. to rig up those loose BP ejection charges ;)
Or get an Acquire Only.

Originally posted by andysrockets
Or get an Acquire Only.
Thats what I'm doing - gives me the option of being able to get my hands on some AP (at the launch), and possibly other things which may become available in the furture for pyro-ignition.

Thes Contrails do look good - the vid of the I500 is well cool.

quick question for Tom - could you post the weights of the motors and the tanks and the propellants, I want to make some accurate rocksim component files. I like the 38mm motors, just wondering what I will actually get out of them... would be good to see the weight of the 75mm components too, while you are at it.

Originally posted by cls
quick question for Tom - could you post the weights of the motors and the tanks and the propellants, I want to make some accurate rocksim component files. I like the 38mm motors, just wondering what I will actually get out of them... would be good to see the weight of the 75mm components too, while you are at it.

I don't have all of the numbers just yet. At least not in front of me. Paul provides us with a TMT certified Thrust Curve, and the Official documents regarding each motor certification, but here are the numbers which i have.

The below numbers are of the Motor Hardware, with Grain, Injector, Igniter, Lines, etc. This does not include the Nitrous Weight.

G-100 = 511 Grams
G-130 = 516 Grams
H-211 = 600 Grams
H-277 = 732 Grams
I-500 = 800 Grams
J-333 = 1064 Grams
J-555 = 1132 Grams
K-456 = 3704 Grams
K-777 = 4050 Grams

Those are the numbers I have right now. I will have the others soon. When I do, i will post all the TMT Papers to our website for everyone to see.
I hope this helps
Tom Sanders

Not a hybrid flyer myself--haven't even had time to build and launch low powered stuff lately--but just wanted to chime in and say grats on the certs. :)

Hi,
What is the burn time on the H-141-PVC?

-Lucas, Highway 101 Aerospace

Tom, thanks for posting the weights. congrats on the certs and here's hoping for your great success!!

Originally posted by Lucas
Hi,
What is the burn time on the H-141-PVC?

-Lucas, Highway 101 Aerospace

The Burn Time of the H-141-PVC is 1.70 Seconds. The Tail end of the burn has some really good black smoke as well!
Thanks
Tom

Tom,

Any chance that you'll also publish the total impulse (Ns) of each load? I'm curious about the 28" long 38mm motor... I'm guessing based on the available loads that it's probably a full H (H300) & baby Is (I221 & I500) though, right?

Thanks!

Originally posted by rattmanndoo
The Burn Time of the H-141-PVC is 1.70 Seconds. The Tail end of the burn has some really good black smoke as well!
Thanks
Tom

Nothing good about that black smoke.

https://wte.cbll.net/docs/pvc

I never liked it after I first used back in 97. I always use cleaner burning Polypropylene for my motors.

https://www.cppltd.com/cpptech03.html

Dave

I agree with Dave here. I have been really thinking of doing away with my PVC loads, in favor of higher regression rate injection molded ABS grains.

Once the Sky Ripper 54mm motors are certified, this will be my next project.

I've designed the same combustion chamber in 38mm that I have been using in the 54mm test motors, so we'll be able to offer 300N average 38mm hybrid motors using easy to manufacture, enviro-friendly recycled ABS molded grains.

Originally posted by Todd Moore
I agree with Dave here. I have been really thinking of doing away with my PVC loads, in favor of higher regression rate injection molded ABS grains.

Once the Sky Ripper 54mm motors are certified, this will be my next project.

I've designed the same combustion chamber in 38mm that I have been using in the 54mm test motors, so we'll be able to offer 300N average 38mm hybrid motors using easy to manufacture, enviro-friendly recycled ABS molded grains.

The PVC Grains in 38's are designed to be a cost effective, and cheep solution for those who wish to fly on a budget.
PVC isn't the healthiest of motors to burn... Aerosol cans arn't the best either. Green Flame Motors are the devil!

Our 54 Motors will not have a PVC Grain Available. They will be High Regression Cast Fuels only. This includes the Black Smoke, Black Gold, and Sparky Fuels. We are leaning away from the lower regression plastics in order to give us the possibility of breaking the 1000 N/s Average mark on 54's and hopefully going up into the 1500+ Range.

Thanks
Tom Sanders

Latest posts

Back